Marketing Translators Wanted
Queens Public Library
The QPL Marketing Team is seeking individuals fleunt (reading, writing, spoken) in a variety of languages and dialects to provide translation of print, digital and audio materials used to promote library programs and services.
Queens is widely considered one of the most diverse county in the United States with 160+ languages spoken in the borough. As part of our motto to "Speak Your Language", QPL wants to ensure residents stay informed, feel welcome, and connect to library activities held both online and within their local branches.
HOW IT WORKS
We are looking for a minimum of three (3) people for each language and dialect to be available.
LANGUAGES NEEDED: Hebrew, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Arabic
- Individuals would be on-call to translate materials into a selected language or dialect
- The Marketing Team would contact volunteers based on the translations needed to determine who is assigned the project
- After confirming availability and receiving the items, volunteers would have 24-36 hours to translate (using MS Word) and return to Marketing
- Open to individuals 18 and older
- Must be available a minimum of 3 hours per week
- Must be fluent in English and one of the needed languages and dialects. This includes the ability to read and write in both.
- Possess basic knowledge to use Microsoft Word to translate materials (this includes adding specific symbols, such as accent marks)
- Must possess an email account that can be used to send and receive information
This is an "on-call" project. Contact and assignments would be disseminated "as-needed" by the department. Individuals would be required to check their email on a regular daily basis and respond in a timely manner.
Individuals 18 and older are subject to an investigative background check and must submit a confidentiality agreement to be considered for this position.
Candidates must apply via the QPL Volunteer Website using this link - https://volunteer.queenslibrary.org/opportunity/a0C1J00000MF21y
About Queens Public Library
8911 MERRICK BLVD, JAMAICA, NY 11432, US
Queens Public Library transforms lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities.
We at Queens Public Library believe deeply in equity and that libraries are fundamental in empowering people to take charge of their lives, their governments and their communities.
Volunteers lend their talents and time on behalf of others. Ranging in age from 14 to 80, volunteers are a daily inspiration to customers; help deliver great programming and services; and offer the highest quality of attentiveness to the public.
You can make a difference by helping at any one of our 70 locations, located in every Queens neighborhood. You can...
- Help homebound adults, youth, and seniors get books, movies, and music through Mail-a-Book Services
- Read to youngsters whose parents are working or still learning English
- Teach adults job skills and interview techniques
- Help teens strengthen their academic skills and prepare for college as a Homework Helper or Academic Tutor
- Welcome New Americans, helping them learn English and prepare them to become citizens...and more!
Check out all our service opportunities!