Virtual Front Desk Volunteer - VITA Program
International Rescue Committee in San Diego
Support our VITA (Virtual Income Tax Assistance) program remotely with administrative tasks and welcoming clients!
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF WORK: Virtual Front Desk Volunteers will focus on clients reaching out to the IRC for services provided by our VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, a resource for those seeking help filing their tax returns. You will not need to know anything about taxes! Your tasks may include checking voicemails, reaching out to clients, scheduling tax appointments, organizing online files, and more! This is a very versatile position in which you can meet many new people and support an important program!
- Volunteer will have the opportunity to learn about our wide array of programs that IRC has to offer and will be able to participate in the VITA program.
- Volunteer will gain the experience of working alongside professional staff that may lead to a potential career.
- Volunteer will gain valuable work experience in a multitasking, multicultural fast paced environment.
- FDV will have extensive communication with clients over the phone and evaluate client requests and direct them to relevant IRC services or staff.
- Checking front desk voicemail and relaying the information via Teams, email, or transferring messages to the appropriate IRC staff.
- FDV will assist VITA program clients schedule/ reschedule tax preparation appointments using the River Star system (training will be provided) and myfreetaxes.org system.
- FDV will also adhere and implement IRC’s Office Reopening Guidance as a result of COVID.
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to commit to at least 3 hours per week from January until mid-April 2021. The following shifts will be available each week:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- 10 AM-1 PM (PST)
- 1 PM-4 PM (PST)
- Tuesday, Thursday
- 1 PM-4 PM (PST)
- 4 PM-7 PM (PST)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Personable, with an ability to work within a multicultural environment
- Customer service experience preferred but not required
- Have access to PC and internet service
- Proficient in the use of computers and relevant programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Bilingual preferred but not required
- Background check clearance
To apply to this position, please fill out an IRC Volunteer Application here and indicate that you are applying to the San Diego Office and which position you are applying for. If we would like to move forward with your application, we will reach out to schedule an interview.
About International Rescue Committee in San Diego
5348 University Avenue, San Diego, CA 92105, US
Mission Statement: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps families uprooted by crisis survive and rebuild their lives.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.