40 people are interested
Library Assistant - Sims Library of Poetry
ORGANIZATION: Community Literature Initiative
Please visit the new page to apply.
40 people are interested
- Community Literature Initiative's library, the Sims Library of Poetry, is seeking a Library Assistant to join their dynamic and growing Library team. The Sims Library of Poetry is the first and only poetry library in the Los Angeles area, located in a quaint blue building in South LA. Its main mission is to engage with the community and offer residents an accessible space to read, write, study and perform poetry. The Library recently had its Grand Opening, so this is a crucial and highly exciting time to join!
- Under the care of the Library Manager, you will maintain the day-to-day operations, such as organizing files, shelving books, cataloging new donations, and other ad hoc duties. You will, in partnership with the Library team, play a key role in assembling and implementing new library systems to ensure the Sims Library of Poetry is a safe and welcoming place for the community.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the day-to-day operations at the Library, which may include but is not limited to:
- Provide maintenance (e.g. sweep, mop, vacuum, blow the yard) and cleaning (e.g. stock paper towels, trash bags, soap) of the Library on a weekly basis
- Acquire and shelve new poetry books for the Library inventory
- Coordinate with donors, contract workers, vendors, and others
- Support the Library’s creative display construction and development, as the Library is expanding and establishing its official location
- Research and implement a new library card system to facilitate visitor engagement and process
Preferred qualifications include:
- Willingness to perform physical tasks and maintenance support
- Highly skilled at organization, communication, and visual display design
- Ideal applicants will be curious and passionate learners themselves
- Well-developed interest in any of the following: poetry, writing, education, libraries and business operation management
- Knowledge of G Suite and ability to learn additional software programs
While certain duties can be accomplished virtually, the Library Assistant must be comfortable working at least 1 day a week at the Sims Library of Poetry (2702 W. Florence Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90043).
This is a volunteer position, so it is unpaid. We are looking for consistent, reliable, and trustworthy volunteers who wish to grow with the library. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't have all of the listed experience. Thank you for your interest in CLI and the Sims Library of Poetry!
About Community Literature Initiative
2702 W. Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90047, US
Create an accessible, inclusive, and encouraging space for writers, poets, and artists alike.
The Community Literature Initiative is a Los Angeles based nonprofit organization focused on teaching writers in the city how to create poetry and fiction of a publishable quality. The CLI course is a 10-month (September to June) training program to refine works-in-progress into finalized manuscripts ready for publication. At the conclusion of the 10-month program, all participants are guaranteed a first-book publishing contract with one of our partnering Los Angeles Small Presses. At the conclusion of our program, all students emerge knowledgeable published authors! In addition to offering these courses, CLI staff & students teach free creative writing courses in local high schools.
2702 W Florence AveLos Angeles, CA 90043
March 31, 2022
- Library Sciences
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Program Management
- Approximately 8-10 hours a week, mornings preferred (9am to 1pm)
- Willingness to volunteer in-person onsite at the library.