Legal Intern - UNPAID
Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
TO APPLY: Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include (Title of the position) Application in the subject line.
The Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans ( CIANA ), Legal Services team provides free consultations to determine immigration relief, as well as provides low fee assistance with a variety of immigration applications. Our Legal Services team is looking for a highly personable, persistent, and detail-oriented Legal Intern to assist our attorney with immigration cases.
*TEMPORARILY REMOTE; however, interns must be comfortable with working in-person should the center re-open.*
- Schedule and confirm new appointments with clients
- Manage correspondence between CIANA, clients, and other institutions
- Complete general and legal intake for new clients
- Assist with legal appointments and aid in interpretation, especially if proficient in Arabic, Bengali, Spanish or other languages
- Maintain and organize up to date client database and digital files
- Perform legal research on issues of immigration law, draft memoranda, and report to the director of Legal Services
- This internship is for undergraduate students (with at least two years completed) and graduate students
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- Fluency in another language is a plus
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite, especially Excel/Sheets
- Knowledge of public benefits or willingness to learn
- Organization and filing
- Counseling or customer service
- An independent self-starter who can manage time effectively to accommodate several projects at once
Unpaid, but may be completed for academic credit.
Interns will undergo orientation and training.
About Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
31-09 Newtown Avenue, Suite 411, Astoria, NY 11102, US
To provide special transitional services which will lead to the successful integration of newcomers into American society while continuing to maintain pride in their own cultural heritage .
Immigrants and refugees will be provided with the tools to emerge from poverty, isolation, and linguistic barriers to become full, productive American citizens. Our services promote family well-being and stability, provide counseling and support services, and expose newcomers to the social, economic and educational opportunities available to them. Professional social services will include ESOL and civics classes, citizenship preparation, adult literacy, child welfare and youth services, legal and immigration assistance, financial literacy, micro credit and finance, employment assistance, and information and referral services. Newcomers will gain a deeper understanding of western culture and how to incorporate its positive qualities into their lives without fear of losing their culture and identity; it will help them shape an identity that encompasses the best of both worlds and prevents their isolation and marginalization.