Fight Hunger! Volunteer Site Leader in Morgan Hill, every 2nd/4th Tuesday of month, 9:30a-11:30a
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
We’re looking for an organized, enthusiastic, and compassionate site coordinator to help us run regular volunteer events at a set home delivery hub location.
Home Delivery Site Coordinators serve as the lead volunteer for a home delivery hub where home delivery drivers load their vehicles with pre-boxed groceries to deliver to homebound community members in need. Home Delivery site coordinators help organize volunteer routes, serve as the main day-of point of contact for other volunteers, and work hand-in-hand with food bank staff to ensure that deliveries go smoothly and community members have a positive volunteer and client experience.
A Home Delivery Coordinator Must:
- Provide quality training and support to all volunteer drivers and food loaders on site (anywhere from 5-30 volunteers total).
- Ensure all food recipients have a pleasant and dignified experience.
- Communicate with food bank staff and drivers to anticipate and troubleshoot any logistical challenges with volunteer scheduling or routing logistics.
- Be comfortable using email and open to learning app-based routing technology.
- Maintain a positive, collaborative, and encouraging demeanor when interacting with others.
- Serve as the main representative of the food bank throughout the home delivery distribution event.
- Organize and prepare volunteer driver routes ahead of distribution.
- Provide training and route instructions to volunteer food loaders and/or drivers during the distribution.
- Check volunteer driver IDs and proof of insurance documents.
- Serve as main point of contact for other volunteer questions or needs.
- Respond to day-of delivery related inquires and concerns.
- Notify the food bank of any delivery delays or volunteer challenges.
- Help recruit fellow volunteers.
- Load home delivery vehicles and complete home delivery routes as needed.
- Please note that this role requires repeated lifting of very heavy boxes that weigh 25lbs to 40 lbs. and is best suited for individuals with strong mobility and no back issues.
This role is a great fit for a volunteer who enjoys coordinating events, working within a team, and training and encouraging other volunteers. Site Coordinators must be willing and able to work with people of different backgrounds and nationalities, exhibit compassion and sensitivity, and maintain strict confidentiality of all member and volunteer information. Site Coordinators must be able to pass a background check (run at no cost to the volunteer).
About Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
4001 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95134, US
Lead our community to ensure that anyone who needs a healthy meal can get one.
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley is a private non-profit organization that collects and distributes more than 12 million pounds of food each month. We currently serve an average of over 500,000 individuals each month; 60% are low income families and 20% are seniors. By building collaborative networks, we efficiently distribute food by leveraging donations of money, food and human resources. But we cannot do it alone. We rely upon the energy and commitment of the local community to fight hunger. See more about our efforts https://www.shfb.org/health-and-safety/