Volunteering Against COVID-19
Helpful Engineering is seeking a talented General Counsel to join our team!
This is a volunteer position (we do not offer compensation). Helpful Engineering volunteers work with amazing worldwide team members in a dynamic fast-moving environment. It is also a great opportunity to build your skills and resume. Come join us!
About Helpful Engineering
Helpful Engineering is an international, open-source community incubator focused on mobilizing people to help solve the Covid-19 pandemic and other critical issues. With thousands of volunteers worldwide, we support projects through innovations in engineering, community resources, software, and manufacturing. Most of the projects are focused on finding solutions to fix the lack of products used by healthcare professionals, including hardware and software, but also non-technical products like surgical masks.
We have engineers and doctors all around the world who are producing ventilators, protective equipment, websites, and systems to organize volunteers to assist their communities and medical workers. They are making heroic efforts to produce products in time to help the outbreak.
Check Out Helpful Engineering Here: https://www.helpfulengineering.org/
For our complete list of open positions, check out our Volunteer Opportunities: https://airtable.com/shrwgNtBUAzuciV0j/tbl5Bqnjl3JRKD7qP
Volunteer Position Description & Responsibilities
- Advising CEO, Board of Advisors, and other senior management on various matters such as legal risks and mitigation measures
- Closely integrate, support, and align with C-suite leaders.
- Managing the organization's legal matters and developing best practices to ensure compliance with all relevant legal matters, including data privacy, intellectual property, and security.
- Examining, negotiating, and creating various forms of contracts, including intellectual property agreements, volunteer agreements, and similar documents
- Interacting with investor legal departments and regulators.
- Proactively anticipating legal issues to address.
- Corporate governance; maintenance of corporate records; handling statutory filings.
- Management of outside counsel and growing an internal legal team as Helpful scales.
- Creating new entities and managing the organization's intellectual property.
- Support fundraising work to ensure timely charitable fundraising registrations and compliance with fundraising regulations
- Advance organizational innovation mission through creative legal initiatives
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited, top-tier law school and good standing with a US state bar
- 7+ years practice with an established law firm, preferably some experience in an attorney management role
- Outstanding judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects at once
- Legal experience in non-profit organizations, volunteer work, and product development desirable
- Experience with corporate governance issues.
- Understanding of data collection & intellectual property use and transfer laws, regulations, and concepts on a global scale.
- Experience in building, managing, and mentoring a legal team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience working with non-lawyers and explaining complex legal concepts in a comprehendible way to a layman
- Knowledge of statutes, rules, and regulations pertaining to businesses in Helpful’s market areas.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Self-starter and takes initiative
Our organization is organic, transparent, and follows the principles of open source and effective altruism. Helpful Engineering expects all volunteers to adopt a professional attitude and be respectful of their fellow volunteers, which includes politeness, punctuality, giving notice, and communicating openly and transparently their work and progresses.
About Helpful Engineering
Helpful Engineering, London, London 533425, GB
Helpful Engineering is an international, open source community incubator focused on mobilizing people to help solve the Covid-19 pandemic and other critical issues. With thousands of volunteers worldwide, we support projects through innovations in engineering, community resources, software, and manufacturing.
Helpful Engineering is a 3,400 strong volunteer-run nonprofit incubator organization, with engineers, scientists, and doctors around the world dedicated to helping the world address the COVID-19 pandemic. Relying on the resourcefulness and grit of our members, we work to design innovative ways to fight the virus that causes this disease. We have partnered with medical professionals to know what would help them the most in this crisis, rapidly trying to design and arrange the production of pragmatic devices to move life-saving air, extend existing tools, or organize volunteers on the ground to bolster medical workers. The need is critical. Important but complex rules usually make these products unavailable, if unburdened, we can make them available now.