Program Assistant Intern
Young Mothers, Inc.
Description: The Nonprofit Program Assistant Intern will support staff to develop internal and
external communications and fundraising activities. Additionally, the intern will assist the Executive
Director where necessary. Duties will be approximately 30% project oriented and 70% clerical.
Clerical duties include working with organizational database, mailings to members, and general
assistance. Please note that this internship is unpaid.
* Advanced undergraduate or graduate student working towards a degree in a related field
* Demonstrated familiarity and interest in humanitarian and faith-based organizations
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Proficiency in English is required; additional language proficiencies are a plus, particularly
Spanish, French, and Haitian Creole
* Proficiency using Microsoft Office software (including Outlook and Sharepoint)
* Knowledge of graphic design software, such as InDesign and Adobe Illustrator
* Experience with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), integrated marketing, and working
knowledge of big data is desired
* Grant-writing experience is a plus
* Assisting in the development of content for our website and social media
* Maintaining contact databases, including members and donors, updated
* Supporting the creative process of materials and publications (print and electronic)
* Conducting research related to grants and prospective donors
* Drafting letters to MIA’s institutional partners and high-level government representatives
* Assist with logistics planning for events and travel
* Drafting and revising financial, logistics and office templates in MS Word, Excel and PDF
* Provide general administrative and office support, including organizing meetings, maintaining
the calendar of events, and taking minutes
Intern’s Profile: This is an excellent opportunity for someone thinking about a career in the nonprofit
sector or for someone interested in special event planning and/or public relations and marketing. The
Nonprofit Program Assistant Intern position allows the intern to network with area nonprofit
personnel and learn about local nonprofit career opportunities
About Young Mothers, Inc.
P.O Box 30019 SE, Washington, DC 20030, US
Educating, mentoring, nurturing and supporting young mothers to become self-sufficient for themselves and their families.
We are a local nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve the lives of women across the National Capital Region surviving a number of serious issues and concerns from housing and food insecurities to mental health concerns.