Change a Life - Become a Foster Parent! (Kids ages 4-10)
ORGANIZATION: Boys & Girls Aid
Please visit the new page to apply.
About Us: Boys & Girls Aid has a 135-year history providing quality foster care services to children and families in Oregon. We’re focused on a future where every child, teen and young adult has the tools necessary to build lifelong and lasting relationships. We're committed to ensuring every child grows up with a family of their own.
About the Role: We are looking for foster parents to help guide children toward a healthier, happier future. If you have room in your heart and home and can offer a safe, stable, and caring home for a child, please get in touch.
The Nest serves children 4-10 years old who come from challenging living situations and extremely traumatic experiences. They have complex needs that require well-trained and supportive foster parents. The Nest program offers around the clock professional support tailored to meet the foster family and child’s needs and help both parents and child succeed. Many of the children in the program can attend preschool or school, but some may require alternative academic settings like special education classrooms. This program requires flexibility, patience, and experience, but the rewards are outstanding. Most children return to their parents or are adopted after approximately 9 months - 1 year.
What support does Boys & Girls Aid provide?
- $3,000 tax-free stipend for every 30 days of care to support the child’s needs
- 24-hour on-call support and guidance, both on the phone and in-person
- Free trauma-informed training in addition to individual and group support meetings
- Collaborative support team to meet the needs of the youth and support foster parents
- Two days off per month
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a residence within the Greater Portland with an open bedroom available
- Ability to pass a federal, state, and local criminal background check and child abuse check
- Have a valid Oregon Driver's License
- A two-parent household(Note: This requirement is for The Nest Program only)
- Have a reliable vehicle to transport youth daily
- Provide a separate bedroom in the home for the foster youth with a window and a door
More opportunities with Boys & Girls Aid
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Boys & Girls Aid
9320 SW Barbur Blvd #200, Portland, OR 97219, US
Boys & Girls Aid has a 135-year history providing quality foster care services to children and families in Oregon. We’re focused on a future where every child, teen and young adult has the tools necessary to build lifelong and lasting relationships. We're committed to ensuring every child grows up with a family of their own.
In 1885, Boys & Girls Aid was founded in response to a crisis. Children were being abandoned on the streets of Portland with nowhere to go. The agency created a home for these children to go to and connection in the community to find families for them.
Over 135 years later and Oregon is facing a new crisis.
More than 8,000 children are living in Oregon’s foster care system. This morning, these children woke up in a bed that is not theirs, they are living without their parents, their siblings, their family pet, their teachers and friends. They are living in limbo, unsure about their future.
At Boys & Girls Aid, we see children in foster care for who they really are - kids. They are young people who have done nothing to deserve their situation and we believe that in the right family, they can thrive. It is our mission to make sure every child in foster care grows up in a family.
This is Boys & Girls Aid’s solution. Children in foster care need families who know their history and are invested in their future. The cycle of foster care is a brutal one that ends with children struggling as adults. To avoid this, we need to ensure their future safety and resolve their past traumas by connecting them with a forever family.
Our journey to end the cycle of foster care is not one we want to go at alone. Join us in building a better future for children in Oregon.
Multiple locations Portland, OR 97202
March 11, 2022
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
- Crisis Intervention
- Child Development
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Training and certification: 2-6 months; Foster Care Placement: varies in length (1 month - 2 years)
- Upon Placement: Have a reliable vehicle to transport youth daily & provide a separate bedroom in the home for the foster youth with a window and a door