12 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Philly Peace In Progress
Please visit the new page to apply.
12 people are interested
Volunteer, Part Time Counselor
The Organization: Philly Peace in Progress is a non-profit organization. Our vision is to help those youth impacted by violence not become a statistic, but to have them prosper to become productive citizens and to break the cycle of poverty and violence for the next generation.
The Position: Volunteer Counselor to assist in providing a caring warm and constructive environment for participants and in setting up, coordinating, and running classes. The counselor is a key program contributor for the participants aged 10 to 16 years old. We are looking for someone who is driven, can support and teach conflict resolution, full of passion, patience and compassion - particularly towards children. Come join us in sharing this August starting immediately through December 20th! The role is Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for one to two hours per day at the Christi Recreation Center.
You will play an important role helping participants acquire feelings of high self-esteem, self-worth and competence while learning conflict resolution skills.
- Maintain the health, happiness, general welfare and safety of the participants and support solve problem solving.
- Know where all participants are at all times. Utilize frequent head counts to ensure everyone is always accounted for.
- Assist keeping participants safe and well behaved. Keep dance instructor and executive director informed of all concerns.
- Act as a role model, use active listening, conflict resolution skills and good judgment.
- Support participants so they participate in all activities. Fill free time with activities appropriate for the group.
- Maintaining and use audio/video equipment, books, toys, and other supplies.
- Serve snacks and clean up following snack time.
- Maintain good morale around the children, volunteers, facility personnel and parents at all times.
- Communicate with parents and caregivers about participants’ experiences.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures and safety guidelines associated with the facility.
Previous experience or school course work in working with children and/or recreation
Formal conflict resolution skills highly desired
An interest in working with children in a recreational setting and desire to be a positive influence on children
About Philly Peace In Progress
P.O. Box 34069, Philadelphia, PA 19104, US
Philly Peace in Progress is a nonprofit organization which was formed to reduce urban violence and poverty by providing outreach services to troubled inner-city teens and young adults while they learn how to resolve conflict without violence. Our services will cultivate positive leaders and promote better decision makers by providing educational and cultural enrichment, mentoring, life transformation skills, and empower youth and families to navigate through challenges that often lead to community violence.
Philly peace in progress have held annual community events. We believe that it is imperative that we must work towards gaining trust within our community while promoting bonds to create safer and healthier neighborhoods and to also work to establish better relationships with law enforcement. Age group is from 10 to 21 for girls and boys.
1. To deliver relevant programs for youth that will aid in their successful development
2. To provide reading, math, english, computer skills tutoring for teens and young adults
3. Trade skills assistance
4.To provide cultural enrichment program that will provide exposure to youth to people, places, food, activities and events with cultural historical importance. It will provide positive learning experiences and appreciating for culture as well as promote self respect for themselves and for others.
5.To introduce and pair teens and young adults to community leaders as mentors; through group and one-on-one mentoring programs.
6.To establish a strong network of supporting partners to provide opportunities and resources that will broaden our teens and young adults experiences, through trade skills, educational and community programs that strengthen their intellectual and begins the healing of negative behaviors into positive leaders and lifestyles.
728 South 55th StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19143
July 26, 2022
- Youth Services
- Family Therapy
- Child Welfare
- Crisis Intervention
- Child Development
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 55
- Must be able to be committed for at least 6 hours out of the week.