4 people are interested
Volunteer Mentor (Volunteer- Unpaid)
4 people are interested
Position: Volunteer Mentor
Hours: minimum 4 hours per week
Volunteering commitment: 3- 6 months
Do you want to use your professional experience to help adult refugee and asylum seeker students develop their skills? We are looking for Volunteer Mentors to guide the learning journeys of our refugee and asylum seeker students in Lesbos. You will be matched with a mentee according to your areas of expertise.
- Hold multiple virtual sessions 1-1 a week with ConnectionHub's refugee or asylum seeker students living in Lesbos, Athens and other cities.
- H elp students explore careers, setting goals, developing contacts, and identifying resources.
- Supporting at all times the long term aim for students’ independence by encouraging the growth of the necessary skills for independent thinking.
- Assisting with assessing, planning and reviewing students’ progress.
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities.
- Creating a caring and safe atmosphere in conjunction with other volunteers of ConnectionHub.
- Escalate acute/severe mental health needs to site coordinator.
- Monitor student academic and emotional wellbeing and raise any concerns with the Mentor Coordinator.
- Educate to a degree level or to be studying for a degree.
- 3 years of relevant experience in your field (desirable).
- Demonstrable communication and interpersonal skills, ability to motivate and inspire people.
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty.
- Reliable, trustworthy and professional.
- Experience of working with refugees and asylum seekers (desirable).
- Second language (French, Farsi, Arabic, Pashto - desirable).
- Able to develop mutual trust and respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Willing to learn about the courses that our students have signed up.
All Volunteers Mentors are required to have a valid Enhanced DBS certificate. We accept existing valid Enhanced DBS certificates that the candidates have.
Please email us at email@example.com for a volunteer form to be completed and sent by email alongside your most recent CV and covering letter, detailing your interest in the role, your relevant experience and evidence of how you meet our criteria.
Due to the high level of applications we are currently receiving we will only contact you if you are successful.
Gemma House, 39 Lilestone Street, London, London NW8 8SS, GB
ConnectionHub’s mission is to provide education and integration opportunities via blended learning pathways to people in crisis and conflict contexts, in order to reduce this human suffering and exploitation.
ConnectionHub is a UK-registered charity offering blended learning programmes to refugees and asylum seekers in Lesbos, Greece. Currently, the lack of educational opportunities leaves refugees and asylum seekers in Lesbos, Greece exposed to a future of social exclusion, precarious employment, exploitation, and poverty.
ConnectionHub’s mission is to provide education and integration opportunities via blended learning pathways to people in crisis and conflict contexts, in order to reduce this human suffering and exploitation. Blended learning, which utilises both online and offline educational material and support, is proven to better facilitate student’s learning journey; with this approach we hope to give refugees and asylum seekers the chance to develop new skills that will build their capacities as individuals, help them bridge the literacy gap, and support them to change the trajectory of their lives by creating job opportunities and economic empowerment. ConnectionHub’s programmes are accessible to displaced people regardless of legal status, gender, age, or ethnic identity.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
November 24, 2021
- 3- 6 months
- To apply: Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a volunteer form to be completed and sent by email alongside your most recent CV and covering letter, detailing your interest in the role, your relevant experience and evidence of how you m