Hurricane Challenged Agriculture on Saint Maarten
Marlin Yard Foundation
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Volunteering opportunity at Vicky’s Keys Volunteer Center St. Maarten
Our Volunteer Centre is based in Sint Maarten Dutch West Indies which goes by the name Vicky’s Keys - www.vickyskeys.com. Managed by volunteers this location accommodates volunteers from abroad who work together with local based volunteers at several organized Eco Projects. Besides being a Volunteer Center this location functions as a Hostel - a low budget lodging facility - for tourists.
We have vacant Volunteer positions for which we seek reliable candidates who are willing to become part of something beautiful. This is done by investing time and making an effort in helping us to create sustainable Eco Projects of which in turn can be enjoyed by us all in the near future.
The Eco projects we are preparing / have started are:
- Reinstating an old berry vine.
- Creating community gardens/ allotments.
- Creating hurricane challenged agriculture such as permaculture, aquaponics and hydroponics.
Info about the volunteering activities:
- Eco Neighbourhood development:
- Landscaping and putting renewable facility systems in place for biogas, waste and waste-water management, solar system with battery bank, rainwater harvesting etc.
- Construction of self-sufficient and sustainable homes made out of modified shipping containers.
- Further development of The Keys Market location.
- landscaping activities and perma-cultured gardens maintenance at the Volunteer Center premises,
- maintenance of the Aquaponic system and cultivating fish, fruit, herbs and veggies at the Volunteer Center premises,
- landscaping and tillage activities at the Community Gardens division,
- assist with constructing exterior designs by recycling / re-purposing materials,
- landscaping activities at The Keys Market division,
- assist with marketing activities for the Community Gardens and The Keys Market.
- assist with organizing The Keys Market events.
- taking care of holiday guests when booked for the hostel:
- reservation management, check-in and check-out of guests
- preparing breakfast for guests
- cooking / bartending (e.g. happy hour, bbq, pick-nick events)
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Marlin Yard Foundation
Stuifweg 68, Oosterend, Noord- Holland 1794HC, NL
As ambassador of the "Eco Way of Living" we are driven by the possibility of making communities become more self-sufficient in combination with addressing environmental and social concerns. Our organisations philosophy is 4 x R meaning "Reuse, Reduce, Recycle & Repurpose". In light of the 4 x R we commit our expertise in Agriculture, Eco Housing and Sustainable Entrepreneurship for everyone. Our continuous objectives are to successfully implement sustainability, ecologic development in combination with crowd profit sharing opportunities. In every way we encourage personal and business development, self-sufficiency, resiliency, sustainability and environmental friendly trade for everyone. "Be Green!"
- Our philosophy is 4 x R meaning "Reuse, Reduce, Recycle & Repurpose".
- We understand the connections between entrepreneurial actions and the greater community as a whole. In light of the 4 x R we commit our expertise in Agriculture, Eco Housing and Sustainable Entrepreneurship for everyone with the intention to implement crowd profit sharing.
- Assists with creating initiatives within the framework of sustainable and environmentally friendly trade, also known as "Going Green".
Project Management in the business sectors Hospitality, Retail, Alternative Construction*, Holistic Medical, Waste Management, Renewable Energies, Agriculture**
*Alternative construction specialty: Ecologic Landscaping, Shipping Container Modification, Geodesic Dome construction
**Agriculture specialty: Permaculture, Aquaponics, Hydroponics