NHQ:ISD - OPS-MM: OpenStreetMap (OSM) Data Quality Volunteer
American Red Cross - National Headquarters
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) International Services Development (ISD) team. Specifically the Operations Missing Maps(OPS-MM) unit. This is a remote (volunteer-from-home opportunity). Help Missing Maps volunteers around the world create new data by validating OpenStreetMap (OSM), a tool used by humanitarians globally. Be an advocate for responsible data management and open collaborations by participating in this remote opportunity.
Looking for an opportunity to grow your OpenStreetMap (OSM) skills? Love maps and want to learn more
about how they are created and used in the humanitarian context? This is the role for you! The International
Services Department (ISD) through its involvement with the Missing Maps project creates large amount of
data through mapping, assessments, and evaluations.
This position will be responsible for:
- Validating OSM data produced at Missing Maps mapathons
- Providing feedback to mappers to improve their quality of mapping
This group will meet (remotely) twice a month to discuss validation priorities and best practices.Qualifications:
- Experience with OpenStreetMap (OSM), GIS, Surveying, Geography, Spatial Data, or Cartography.
- A love for working with and providing quality data.
- Motivated, self starter, who pays attention to detail, and is willing to work independently.
- Comfort with communication platforms like Skype and Slack.
- Interest in disaster preparedness and/or data literacy. Willingness to use video conferencing.
- Validation experience is not required, training will be provided. Note: This position will not require travel."
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.