Volunteer Income Tax Assistant, Seasonal
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Volunteer as a Tax Preparer with Ariva Today
Position: Volunteer Income Tax Assistant, Seasonal
Program:VITA Tax Program
Reports To:Volunteer Program Manager & Tax Site Manager
Summary: Ariva has several seasonal openings (mid-January to mid-April 2021) for VITA Program Tax Preparers. As part of our core mission to strengthen the financial stability of low-income individuals and families in underserved neighborhoods, Ariva operates a substantial free income tax assistance program (VITA program). The program is concentrated in the South Bronx, but offers services to clients and sites in other boroughs of New York City as well. Ariva’s free tax program is expected to file 9,000 income tax returns in 2021. Due to new COVID-19 guidelines
Responsibilities: Ariva’s Tax Preparers provide free, high quality income tax return preparation for low and moderate-income individuals and families. We also prepare returns for income eligible self-employed filers. We also assist a large number of immigrant households, many of whom are applying for ITINs. Our preparers provide free high-quality services and they adhere to the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Review Intake: Review clients’ completed IRS paper intake form; ensure all fields are filled out completely and thoroughly. Also review clients’ identification and tax forms to ensure all documentation is in order to prepare return. Verify that return is within scope of preparer’s VITA certification.
- Prepare Returns: Utilizing IRS-approved software (in 2021, Ariva will be using Taxslayer software), prepare client returns for e-filing or paper filing. Ensure that a quality review of the return is completed in accordance with IRS regulations. Provide a printed copy of return to client after quality review is completed. Be knowledgeable and stay up to date on IRS rules and regulations as they relate to VITA tax preparation- including client privacy and confidentiality protections and comply with those rules at all times.
Core Competencies: The position requires the following skills, experience and competencies:
- Certification in IRS standards of conduct, intake & QR and advanced tax preparation. (Ariva will train). Must pass an online IRS exam. Tax Preparers will ensure full compliance at all times with those IRS standards and requirements as they relate to the tax preparation process.
- Basic computer skills; Tax Preparer must be proficient in use of Taxslayer software. (No previous experience needed; Ariva will train)
- Patience, good sense of humor and commitment to Ariva’s mission and clients.
- Professional demeanor and good work ethic: Tax staff are expected to arrive on time and as scheduled for their assigned shifts.
- Fluency in Spanish highly desirable as is some prior experience with the VITA program.
Schedule: Ariva has several openings for this position, from mid-January to mid-April at several locations. We have shifts available day, evenings and weekends. Both Virtual and In-person positions are available.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Ambernicole Misserello, VITA Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Ariva, Inc.
69 E 167th Street, Bronx, NY 10452, US
Ariva is dedicated to financial literacy and providing access to affordable financial services and wealth building tools in underserved communities.
Ariva runs a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site every year and focuses its other programming on financial literacy and coaching.