3 people are interested
Tutor (AP US History)
ORGANIZATION: BGCM Community Center & Sportsplex
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
**Tutors can be located in any US location - this is a remote position**
To apply, there are 3 STEPS: email resume, complete an application at BGCMe.org AND call (732) 707-7336 for immediate consideration.
BGCM is seeking a virtual tutor to support our high school students on a 1-to-1 basis. The tutor will be responsible for providing exceptional virtual tutoring instruction, student mentorship and subject matter expertise in AP US History. This opportunity is directly addressing the impacts of COVID-19 that students are experiencing by receiving inadequate support from teachers during remote learning.
Teaching/Tutoring, 1 year (Required)
Enrolled in bachelor's degree program or bachelor's degree obtained (Required)
- Familiarity with virtual learning platforms.
- Assist with and proof writing assignments and homework.
- Teach skills needed to complete class with an A or A+.
- Engage with students in a friendly and professional manner requesting information about the course, activity, and/or specific content so they can quickly serve the student’s needs.
- Respond to student questions in a positive, supportive manner, giving as detailed explanations as possible.
- Guide the student through content and/or processes to obtain correct answers.
- Be vigilant to signs that the student is asking for help on assessment (quizzes and test) questions and setting the expectation with students that tutors will provide assistance as needed and clarify what the assessment questions are asking.
- Redirect students to appropriate to their teacher (when applicable) for questions relating to their specific course.
- Provide brief written summary/progress report to parents and students after each session has concluded
- Other duties as assigned.
- Dates: September - December
- Schedule: Flexible (based on student and tutor's availability)
- Subjects Covered: AP US History
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Adheres to the professional teaching obligations and be a subject matter expert in high school AP US History.
- Fosters a positive and motivating environment for students.
- Provide student feedback in a manner that supports learning.
- Actively listens and delivers information in a clear, compelling and concise manner.
- Attention to detail when typing with minimal spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Ability to multitask between multiple windows, students, and courses.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or enrollment in a Bachelor's Degree program is required. High school students who have completed AP History with an A+ may apply.
- Minimum of one year experience tutoring secondary mathematics
- Teaching license is a plus
- Strong technical expertise. Must be familiar with using a computer and have experience with Zoom and Google Meets
About BGCM Community Center & Sportsplex
129 N County Line Road #235, Jackson, NJ 08527, US
To nurture young people and families by reinforcing Christian principles that emphasize that they have been emphatically chosen by God to do magnificent things; provide services, programs, and activities that build positive self-worth and foster respect, integrity, and stewardship; offer youth from Maine to North Carolina, an innovative opportunity to train, excel, and compete academically, artistically, and athletically.
BGCM! (Because God Chose Me!) Community Center & Sportsplex, is a 501c3 nonprofit academic, arts & athletic center for youth & families founded on Christian principles, and is dedicated to instilling in each member that they have been specifically chosen by God to do magnificent things! Located in the heart of Jackson, NJ, we specialize in improving the self esteem of youth and families in surrounding suburban as well as underrepresented and underprivileged communities, while promoting integrity and stewardship, and offering, to youth in our surrounding states from Maine to North Carolina, an innovative opportunity to train, excel, and compete academically, artistically, and athletically.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 6, 2022
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Flexible (based on student and teacher's availability); 3-6 hours per week, per student