Girls Who Code Facilitator
MY FRIENDS PLACE NY INC
Volunteer with a Girls Who Code Club in our community!
WHY IT MATTERS:
Computing skills are the most sought-after in the US job market, with demand growing 3X the national average. Computing is where the jobs are - and where they will be in the future - but girls across the US are being left behind. Today, less than a quarter of computing jobs are held by women, and that number is declining.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
You can help ensure our girls are not left behind. Girls Who Code Clubs inspire, educate, and equip girls with the bravery and resilience they need to use computer science to positively impact the community. We are looking for a passionate volunteer who is 18+ to facilitate our Girls Who Code Club for [3-5th/6-12th] grade students. Applications are open now.
WHAT WE DO:
Clubs are FREE after-school programs for 3rd-5th and 6th -12th grade girls to join our sisterhood of supportive peers and role models and use computer science to change the world. Clubs are led by Facilitators, who can be teachers, computer scientists, librarians, parents, or volunteers from any background or field. Many Facilitators have NO technical experience and learn to code alongside their Club members.
To Facilitate a Club, you must:
- Be 18+
- Have the ability to pass a background check
- Be available to lead a Club for 1-2 hours per week
- Be comfortable learning alongside Club girls as they explore the foundational computer science concepts. No computer science experience is needed!
- Have a passion to help and the ability to foster community within your Girls Who Code Club.
All materials from Girls Who Code are provided for FREE to the Club Facilitator, including:
- 120+ hours of curriculum, tutorials of all skill levels, and an online learning management system
- Program support, including a Clubs Success Specialist, Facilitator trainings and resources
- Access to field trips and grant opportunities upon availability
- Recruitment materials to help spread the news about your Club
Reach out to Chih Ling Cheng at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering with us!
About MY FRIENDS PLACE NY INC
4001 New Utrecht Ave, BROOKLYN, NY 11219, US
My Friends Place strives to empower underserved youths by providing mentorship and educational programs to help them improve their quality of lives.
My Friends Place NY is a non-profit organization established by a group of Asian young professionals based in Brooklyn. Everyone deserves a friend! My Friend’s Place empowers youths with challenging needs in the Chinese community through mentoring and educational programs to help them build self-confidence and resiliency.