Country Geo Manager (Volunteer)
The Globalization Group supports the globalization requirements of Translation Commons’ products. The main goal of this role is to provide cultural and industry insight which will enhance Translation Commons’ efforts to create the best-localized products. Country Geo Managers have an interest in globalization and translation and they are knowledgeable about the culture and the language of the country they represent.
As a country Geo Manager, you will be part of driving the future roadmap of globalization of Translation Commons products. You will have the opportunity to develop new skills and expand your knowledge. While collaboration with peers will allow you to forge strong professional relationships and expand your network.
- Managing the overall strategy of the given language/country.
- Working closely with external and internal stakeholders and partners to help create the best-localized content and experience.
- Supporting the development of linguistic and cultural standards: style guides, glossaries and content.
- Supporting the development of a global industry database: local organizations, universities, industry events, etc.
- Staying well-informed about the industry news in their country.
- Availability to meet with Globalization Managers at least once a month.
- Availability to go to industry events to network and introduce/represent TC.
- Based in the country they represent.
- Native fluency in the language(s) of the country + fluent English.
- Strong knowledge of the country’s culture, history and customs.
- Strong knowledge of or interest in the translation/ localization industry.
- Self-starter - the ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ideally, experience in the translation/ localization industry as a linguist, PM or other roles.
About Translation Commons
19800 VALLCO PKWY UNIT 422, CUPERTINO, CA 95014, US
We believe in the power of language to... - share knowledge and sustain cultures, - change the lives of our volunteers, - provide professional opportunities.
Translation Commons is a non-profit volunteer community of language lovers, professionals and technologists. We provide a roadmap and create resources for a digital ecosystem where all languages have equal access and speakers can pursue educational, cultural and economic opportunities.
We are partners to the International Year of Indigenous Languages, a UNESCO initiative, and are creating resources for the International Decade of Indigenous Languages, 2022-2032, making language rights a reality for all people! Our Language Digitization Initiative is enabling many languages to get their script online and partake to digital opportunities.
Our volunteers are the heart and soul of our community. Their passion for language and their expertise in technology are the cornerstones of all our initiatives. Our activities are centered around career paths that volunteers can engage, experience and practice.
Our platform offers over 40 free language related tools. Our courses and resources include a variety of language topics, all created by our volunteers.
Our Covid-19 poster-maker is translated in over 350 languages and for the majority of these communities, our poster is the only Covid-19 information available in their language. Our volunteers also offer their help to other organizations responding to the Covid-19 crisis.