NHQ:ISD - OPS-MM: Missing Maps Community Event Coordinator
American Red Cross - National Headquarters
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) International Services Development (ISD) team. Specifically the Operations Missing Maps(OPS-MM) unit. Each year, disasters around the world kill nearly 100,000 and affect or displace 200 million people. Many of the places where these disasters occur are literally 'missing' from any map and first responders lack the information to make valuable decisions regarding relief efforts. Missing Maps is an open, collaborative project in which you can help to map areas where humanitarian organizations are trying to meet the needs of vulnerable people. The Missing Maps Event Coordinator supports the Missing Maps program by planning, hosting, and coordinating mapping events in the local chapter area. Missing Maps Facilitators do not need to be mapping experts, training will be provided. Additionally, this person will work closely with a local Missing Maps Liaison who will help navigate local resources. *Current locations include: New York City, Chicago, Seattle, Portland (OR), Eugene, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Princeton or Fairfield. Recruitment only open in New York City and Atlanta.
- Looking for an opportunity to host meaningful volunteer opportunities in your community? Love maps and want to learn more about how they are created and used in the humanitarian context? This is the role for you! Candidates will gain experience with volunteer and stakeholder management, community organizing, and mapping for humanitarian needs.
- Missing Maps Community Event Coordinators will plan and host volunteer mapping events in their communities and support other Missing Maps events in their region as needed and available. This can include:
- event planning
- leading trainings and outreach opportunities
- teaching mappers and providing follow up opportunities to allow for continued engagement
- communications and social media coordination
- *Coordinators do not need to be mapping experts*
- Training will be provided. This person will work closely with local chapter representatives to understand their communities needs and interests.
Required: motived, self starter, interested in community organizing and connecting people to meaningful volunteer opportunities, enjoys teaching others new skills. Availability during business hours required.
Appreciated: interest in open source mapping, interest in disaster preparedness, existing relationship and affiliation with local chapter, event planning experience
Not Required: mapping experience is NOT a prerequisite for this role!
Current locations include the following regions and cities. This position requires travel in your local area only.
Greater New York - New York City
Chicago and Northern Illinois - Chicago
Northwest Region - Seattle
Cascades Region - Portland and Eugene
Massachusetts Region - Boston
Georgia - Atlanta
North Texas - Dallas
Colorado Wyoming - Denver
New Jersey - Princeton or Fairfield
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.