7 people are interested
Meaningful Moments with Seniors at our Food Distribution Drive Thru!
7 people are interested
Become a Drive Thru Assistant at Second Harvest Heartland Maplewood location!
We are looking for volunteers to assist in the Client Track position to welcome clients and track distribution of food boxes and in the cooler to sort and organize food items to prepare for distribution.
Client Track: 1-4p on Tuesday and Friday
Cooler: Friday PM, 1-4p
Through the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), low-income seniors are given a monthly food box including canned fruits, vegetables and juices, dry and UHT milk, American cheese, canned meat, peanut butter or dried beans, cereal, rice or pasta. Each month, around 2,000 seniors pick up their boxes of groceries from the Maplewood Drive Thru. Drive Thru volunteers assist at Second Harvest Heartland’s Maplewood site to distribute these boxes.
Volunteers in this role work closely in a team of 3 volunteers to welcome clients, carry 35-pound boxes to clients’ cars and sort produce and other perishable food for dates and quality. They provide excellent customer service to our seniors and work alongside volunteers & staff to ensure distribution runs smoothly. Volunteers need to be comfortable with face-to-face interaction, working with participants who may speak a different language, and working with confidential information. This is a weekly position for 3 hours per shift. This role can be physical, fast-paced, and is a wonderful and direct way to help seniors at risk of hunger!
- Welcome clients to the Maplewood Drive Thru and assist with their food pick up
- Assist clients in carrying 35-lb. box of food to a waiting vehicle
- Answer any questions, and refer to Second Harvest Heartland staff as appropriate
- Help with other duties as needed, including sorting, bagging, and distributing produce and other extra food items to clients
- Occasional light clerical or janitorial tasks when traffic flow is slow
- Willingness to interact patiently and with empathy with participants from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds and uphold a non-judgmental, positive regard. Volunteer will be communicating with and assisting seniors from many different cultures and ethnicities, such as Russian, Spanish, Somalian, Hmong and Vietnamese.
- Commitment to following food safety guidelines
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Some of the volunteer’s time may be sorting food in our walk-in cooler, which would require volunteer to dress warmly
- Ability to meet SHH’s guidelines for background check: Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information. SHH will be conducting criminal background checks for all volunteers in this position.
- SHH reserves the right to decline working with a volunteer, or dismiss a current volunteer, based on the results of the background check
To apply: Visit the opportunity on our portal, www.volunteer.2harvest.org and if the opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, click on "Respond" to express your interest and complete the initial steps in the process. After responding, you’ll get an email confirming your interest and a link to our application.
Questions? Reach out to Beth Ashton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Second Harvest Heartland
7101 Winnetka Ave No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships. At Second Harvest Heartland, our volunteer partners do more than enrich our work, they ground us to our mission of ending hunger together. We integrate volunteers into all aspects of creating and delivering solutions that will free our neighbors of hunger.
More than a food bank, Second Harvest Heartland is a leading partner in the policies and programs that work to end hunger, like SNAP, school meals and senior nutrition programs, and we’re an innovator in the areas where food can be the solution, like FOODRx and Minnesota Central Kitchen.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs. Each year we distributed more than 100 million meals to our partners in hunger-relief. Learn more at 2harvest.org.
Click here to visit our volunteer portal and view all available opportunities.
1140 Gervais AveMaplewood, MN 55109
September 15, 2021
- Elder care
- Customer Service
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly; 1 shift per week with a 6 month commitment.
- Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information. SHH will be conducting criminal background checks for all volunteers in this role.