Volunteer - Home Healthcare Veteran Program
Visiting Nurse Service of New York
Background: Established in 1893, Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit community-based health system in the United States, providing home health care services in the five boroughs of New York City and Nassau and Westchester counties.
The Homecare Veteran Program initiated in June of 2020. (This program was made possible from a Grant from the Mother Cabrini Foundation to assist the veteran population within the Homecare program.) VNSNY has cared for patients who are veterans in a mirrored program from hospice successfully for several years. Learning that there was a growing need for support with veteran specific needs and advocacy within our homecare program, this veteran specific program was developed and has grown exponentially over a few months.
The volunteer will function as an associate member of the Homecare Veteran Program, reporting directly to the Veteran Liaison as well as working with our veteran clients and their families as well. Responsibilities will include providing operational and administrative support to all members of the program.
Tasks will include (but not limited to):
- Communication with community-based organizations
- Reformatting spreadsheets to better report on information
- Organizing, filing, and maintaining paper and electronic file records
- Special projects as needed
- Placing welcome calls to clients and screening them for their needs within the Veterans Administration.
- Veteran experience highly preferred
- Ability to be culturally (competent) and sensitive to the veteran population as well as their needs
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong Word and Excel skills
- Tech savviness
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to follow directions, work independently, and work as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in working with sensitive information
- Assist with various projects as necessary
Hours: Flexible (within 8:30am to 4:30pm work day) 10-15 hours per week.
Location: This is a remote opportunity; however, our office is located at 220 East 42 nd street (between 2 nd & 3 rd avenue), New York, NY 10017
Contact: Naomi Bibbins, Manager of Volunteer Services, Naomi.Bibbins@vnsny.org
About Visiting Nurse Service of New York
107 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, US
Mission Statement To promote the health and well being of patients and families by providing high quality, cost effective health care in the home and community. To be a leader in the development of innovative services that enable people to function as independently as possible in their community. To help shape health care policies that support beneficial home- and community-based services. To continue its tradition of charitable and compassionate care, within the resources available.
Agency description of services statement: Established in 1893, Visiting Nurse Service of New York is the nation's largest nonprofit home health care provider. We offer a range of services that includes acute care, long-term home health care, hospice and palliative care, HIV/AIDS services, mental health services, and health care and social services for families with children who have chronic /catastrophic illness and disabilities.