Volunteer Board Member
KIDS-N-STUFF INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE FOR KIDS
Position Title: Member of the Board of Directors
Length of Term: Three Years (eligible for re-appointment for one additional term)
Reports To: Entire Board of Directors
Last Updated: September 2020
- Professional experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Previous board experience preferred
- Knowledge of and passion for the organization and the relevant industry
- Sufficient time availability for board duties
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of children and our community through play
The board of directors is legally and ethically responsible for all activities of the organization. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Determines how the organization will carry out its mission through long and short-range planning.
- Adopts an annual budget and provides fiscal oversight.
- Ensures our commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities we serve is met through identifying and recruiting new board members.
- Assists with orienting and developing board members.
- Hires and evaluates the performance of the executive director. Contributes to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Evaluates its performance and overall performance of the organization in achieving the mission.
- Establishes policies for the effective management of the organization.
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
- Understand and promote the organization’s mission
- Attend board meetings and appropriate committee meetings
- Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Participate in fundraising activities and special events
- Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability to the organization (in order to achieve 100% board giving).
- Sell tickets to fundraising events.
- Recruit sponsors, as needed.
- Identify and cultivate potential donors.
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
- Gets to know other board and committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus. Fosters a welcoming, inclusive environment.
- Support the organization and its officers in times of crisis or controversy.
- Exercise loyalty to Kids 'N’ Stuff and respect confidentiality regarding internal affairs
- Takes on special projects and tasks based on interest, qualifications, and organizational need.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About KIDS-N-STUFF INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE FOR KIDS
301 S SUPERIOR ST, ALBION, MI 49224, US
Kids 'N’ Stuff provides fun, hands-on learning experiences for children and families through interactive exhibits and programs.
Committed to learning through the power of play, our exhibits encourage pretend play, building, exploration, and creativity in an environment where kids and adults can learn together.