Community Outreach Intern - UNPAID
Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
The Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans ( CIANA ), Outreach team in conjunction with NYC Health & Hospitals Corp is working to educate our local communities on the importance of masks, vaccinations, and testing. CIANA is seeking passionate , outgoing , and organized Outreach Interns to participate in CIANA’s education/outreach efforts for communities throughout Queens as well as larger city-wide initiatives that the organization is partnered with.
Queens, NY, IN PERSON
- Distribute fliers, and table at events, fairs, and in various communities throughout Queens
- Communicate with and educate community members on the citywide initiatives such as Test & Trace (T2), NYC CARE, and vaccinations
- Inform community members of CIANA’s various social services programs
- Complete general intake of new clients
- Conduct remote phone- banking when not conducting in-person community outreach
- Make phone calls to immigrant clients and/or potential clients
- Enter data into spreadsheets and maintain data in Google Sheets.
- This internship is ideal for current undergraduate or graduate students
- Keen awareness of immigration news and issues impacting immigrant communities
- 100 % Fluent in Spanish or Bengali
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Community involvement/outreach/engagement
- Public speaking/interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Flexible schedule
- Outreach typically takes place in the mornings to mid-afternoons (10 AM - 1 PM)
- Occasional weekend and evening availability.
Unpaid, but may be completed for academic credit.
Interns will undergo orientation and training with CIANA staff.
About Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
31-09 Newtown Avenue, Suite 411, Astoria, NY 11102, US
To provide special transitional services which will lead to the successful integration of newcomers into American society while continuing to maintain pride in their own cultural heritage .
Immigrants and refugees will be provided with the tools to emerge from poverty, isolation, and linguistic barriers to become full, productive American citizens. Our services promote family well-being and stability, provide counseling and support services, and expose newcomers to the social, economic and educational opportunities available to them. Professional social services will include ESOL and civics classes, citizenship preparation, adult literacy, child welfare and youth services, legal and immigration assistance, financial literacy, micro credit and finance, employment assistance, and information and referral services. Newcomers will gain a deeper understanding of western culture and how to incorporate its positive qualities into their lives without fear of losing their culture and identity; it will help them shape an identity that encompasses the best of both worlds and prevents their isolation and marginalization.