11 people are interested
Avalon Housing needs volunteers to help with food pantries
11 people are interested
At Avalon, housing is a basic human right. We envision a community in which all of our neighbors have a home, and an opportunity to thrive. We build supportive housing communities as a long-term solution to homelessness.
Supportive housing is a combination of affordable housing (that we build) paired with services, like case management. We don’t just help people find housing. Our property managers and support coordinators help people stay in their homes. Avalon owns and operates apartments in Washtenaw County, manages rent vouchers with private landlords, and partners with the Ann Arbor Housing Commission to provide housing alternatives for formerly homeless adults and families throughout Washtenaw County.
Avalon also operates food pantries at a number of our properties. We are looking for volunteers to work at Avalon’s Carrot Way food pantries on Mondays from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm and at our Pauline pantry on Thursdays from 9 am to 12:30 pm. Avalon volunteers will work with the Community Building team and Avalon’s tenant group on all aspects of running the pantry, including set up, food pick up and clean up.
Pantry Volunteer Responsibilities
- Update weekly temperature logs for fridges and freezers
- Prep bags (open and double bag) for pick-ups and deliveries
- Sort and toss outdated or spoiled food from last week
- Bringing out any food for pantry from fridge/freezer
- Help unload Food Gatherers delivery from pallets
- Set up and display food in designated shopping area
Food Distribution/Pickup (each volunteer will be assigned a role from this list)
- Monitor pick up line (maintaining social distancing)
- Run bags for pick up orders
- Enter clients into database (Link2Feed)
- Assisting support coordinators to load deliveries into their vehicles
- Put any extra food away-on shelves, into the fridge or freezer
- Wipe down tables, kitchen counters
- Break down boxes and take them to the recycle
- Take out trash and replace liners
- Sweep and mop floors
- Clean and restock bathrooms
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations in a non-judgmental way
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must possess a highly positive and enthusiastic attitude and strong commitment toward helping those in need
- Minimum six-month commitment preferred
Volunteers may need to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Avalon Housing is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, as well as historically marginalized groups. This includes but is not limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, people who identify as transgender or non-binary, people living with disabilities or mental health conditions, and with lived experience with homelessness or recovery from a substance use disorder. Avalon also encourages those with criminal histories to apply. Avalon doesn't request information about criminal histories unless and until an offer of employment is extended. Avalon may exclude someone based on criminal history if it determines the criminal history is related to or directly conflicts with the responsibilities of the position.
09:00 AM to 12:30 PM
These hours are for Monday and Thursday.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Avalon Housing
1327 Jones Drive, Suite 102, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, US
Our mission is to build healthy, safe and inclusive supportive housing communities as a long-term solution to homelessness.
Avalon Housing is a nonprofit real estate developer, property manager and services provider. We own and manage rental units in over 25 properties in Washtenaw County. We provide support services to our tenants and to individuals and families living in public housing and in units owned by private landlords. In total we serve more than 800 people, including 200 children.
Multiple locations Ann Arbor, MI 48105
November 12, 2021
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 to 4 hours a week, minimum of 12 hours per month.
- Volunteers may need to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds.