We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Please find other opportunities.Find Opportunities
26 people are interested
Dog Walking (Yellow/Intermediate)
ORGANIZATION: Animal Care League
Please visit the new page to apply.
26 people are interested
* TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, FILL OUT OUR VOLUNTEER APPLICATION: https://forms.gle/wWu3qA4Ygq1mzcP56
Dog Walker (Yellow/Intermediate)
Yellow-level Dog Walking is our intermediate dog walking volunteer position here at Animal Care League (ACL). Our Yellow-level Dog Walkers are expected to provide outdoor exercise and playtime for our adoptable shelter dogs.
These volunteers will continue to learn and practice several ways of providing essential enrichment through taking our pups on nice, long walks; going on day trip adventures together; you can even host a slumber party to give a dog a break from the shelter. Yellow Dog Walking is one of the most impactful ways to help animals in need!
Main shelter: 1011 Garfield, Oak Park, IL. 60304
Off-site events: locations vary (postponed due to COVID)
Monday-Sunday: 9-11 am, 1-3 pm, 3-5 pm, & 5-7 pm
Initial Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must have prior dog walking experience within a shelter setting
- Must be confident in physically handling shelter dogs of many sizes and strengths
- Able to bend, squat, and stand/walk for extended periods
- Have a thorough understanding of shelter dog behavior
- Possess the ability to think on one’s feet
- Must be respectful toward dogs and people, and have a calm demeanor
- Pass an initial Dog Walking Assessment with an ACL Dog Walking Mentor
- Participate in 5 training sessions within 1 month of passing an initial Dog Walking Assessment
- Pass final Yellow Dog Walking written and physical dog handling evaluations after completing all initial training
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide outdoor exercise, enrichment, and play for Yellow-level ACL shelter dogs
- Schedule all volunteer shifts prior to arrival
- Adhere to COVID-19 shelter policies and procedures
- Commit to at least 3 two-hour volunteer shifts per month
- Provide at least 1 Yellow-level dog advocacy task per month: day trips, slumber parties, car rides, adoption events, etc.
- Handle Yellow-level ACL shelter dogs during at least 2 off-site adoption events per year (post-COVID)
- Adhere to the general policies and procedures of shelter dog spaces and walking routes
- Attend A Sound Beginning’s (ASBs) online Intro to Training
- Attend ACLs online Dog 101 training
- Attend ACLs online Event Orientation
- Attend ACLs online New Volunteer Orientation
- Take 1 ACL Yellow-level shelter dog through ASBs Orange Dog Training course per year
- Bond with ACL pets who are in need of your companionship, love, and care
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Encourage our community to get involved in our mission and advocate for ACL pets
- Tap into local animal welfare resources and gain industry knowledge and experience
- Help ACL build organizational capacity so we can save more lives
- Receive a free ACL Volunteer t-shirt, name tag, and other SWAG
- 10% off all ACL merchandise and in our 2nd Chance Thrift Shop
- After 10 hours of service, gain an additional 15% off on all ACL merchandise and 2nd Chance Thrift Shop items
- 1 free annual adoption (after 30 hours of service)
- Eligible to lead projects, teams, or become a volunteer Mentor (after 50 hours of service)
- morning / 09:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- afternoon / 01:00 PM to 03:00 PM
- 03:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- evening / 05:00 PM to 07:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Animal Care League
1011 Garfield, Oak Park, IL 60304, US
Animal Care League is committed to providing shelter, medical care, and comfort to animals in need; reducing animal overpopulation; and acting as a community resource, thus promoting the human/animal bond.
The Animal Care League is a limited admission shelter located in Oak Park. We help homeless cats, dogs and other small animals by providing them food, shelter, medical attention and love until we can find them a loving home. As a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, we depend on the generosity of our communities to help us meet our goals of finding new homes for as many animals as possible each year. If you are in interested in helping, please visit our "Supporting the ACL" page on our website, animalcareleague.org.
If you are looking to add a new member to your family, you can view our animals that are up for adoption by clicking on the respective pictures. Please feel free to give us a call to make further inquiries about our animals at 708-848-8155.
1011 GarfieldOak Park, IL 60304
February 15, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- At least 4 hours per week.