Help homebound seniors by delivering their supplemental grocery box! (18+)
Second Harvest Heartland
Through the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), low-income seniors are given a monthly food box including canned fruits, vegetables and juices, dry and UHT milk, American cheese, canned meat, peanut butter or dried beans, cereal, rice or pasta. Grocery delivery volunteers work with 1-4 homebound seniors to pick up boxes from Second Harvest Heartland (SHH) and deliver them to client homes one time per month. Volunteers are matched with the same clients each month to build relationships. Low time commitment, but big impact on a senior’s life!
- Pick up paperwork and food box at designated SHH location or partner sites
- Deliver food to clients
- Assure client completes Signature Log Sheet each month, and return paperwork to SHH
- Contact the client to arrange monthly delivery
- Assist client with certification and recertification process
- Inform SHH if unable to deliver client’s food box for a particular month; provides reasonable notice if not able to deliver (at least 2 weeks)
- Willingness to interact patiently and with empathy with participants from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds and uphold a non-judgmental, positive regard
- Ability to make a monthly commitment for a minimum of a 1-year
- Ability to provide proof of motor vehicle insurance
- Ability to meet SHH’s guidelines for acceptable driving record and background check: Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information. SHH will be conducting criminal background checks for all volunteers in this position. SHH reserves the right to decline working with a volunteer, or dismiss a current volunteer, based on the results of the background check.
These are the current cities that have a need: Minneapolis, Arden Hills, Brooklyn Park, St. Anthony, Coon Rapids, St. Paul, Woodbury, St. Louis Park, Inver Grove Heights, West St. Paul, Crystal.
About Second Harvest Heartland
1140 Gervais Ave., Maplewood, MN 55109, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships.
Second Harvest Heartland works to reinvent hunger relief through leadership and innovation. As the Upper Midwest’s largest hunger relief organization, our goal is not only to help our hungry neighbors today, but to provide the means for everyone to be fed tomorrow. We're known for distributing great amounts of food quickly and efficiently. In our most recent fiscal year, our work provided more that 81 million meals for people in the heartland. We are also constantly pioneering ways to reduce waste and better use the abundant resources available in this land of plenty.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs.