18 people are interested
Be a hunger hero! Deliver monthly grocery boxes to homebound seniors! (18+)
ORGANIZATION: Second Harvest Heartland
Please visit the new page to apply.
18 people are interested
Too many of our neighbors cannot access food help in their community right no w , b ring help to their door by serving as a Grocery Delivery Driver for Homebound Seniors. Through the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), low-income seniors are given a monthly food box including canned fruits, vegetables and juices, dry and UHT milk, American cheese, canned meat, peanut butter or dried beans, cereal, rice or pasta.
Grocery delivery volunteers work with 1-4 homebound seniors to pick up boxes from Second Harvest Heartland (SHH) and deliver them to client homes one time per month. Volunteers are matched with the same clients each month to build relationships. Low time commitment, but big impact on a senior’s life!
We are looking for volunteers to deliver a grocery box once a month to seniors receiving support through CSFP. We have folks in the East Metro (St. Paul, Roseville) waiting to be matched with a volunteer.DUTIES:
- Pick up paperwork and food box at designated SHH location or partner sites
- Deliver food to clients, volunteers are matched with 1-4 clients depending on availability
- Assure client completes Signature Log Sheet each month, and return paperwork to SHH
- Contact the client to arrange monthly delivery
- Assist client with certification and recertification process
- Inform SHH if unable to deliver client’s food box for a particular month; provides reasonable notice if not able to deliver (at least 2 weeks)
- Must be reliable and punctual
- Highly respectful of client confidentiality
- Ability to physical perform the role
- Able to lift and carry 30+ pound box
- Able to operate own vehicle with valid driver's license and insurance
- Willingness to interact patiently and with empathy with participants from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds and uphold a non-judgmental, positive regard
- Ability to make a monthly commitment for a minimum of a 1-year
- Ability to provide proof of motor vehicle insurance and valid driver's license
- Ability to meet SHH’s guidelines for acceptable driving record and background check: Volunteers in this position work closely with vulnerable populations and are exposed to sensitive client information.
- SHH will be conducting criminal background checks and motor vehicle checks for all volunteers in this position.
- SHH reserves the right to decline working with a volunteer, or dismiss a current volunteer, based on the results of the background check or motor vehicle report.
- Areas of need: East Metro (St. Paul, Roseville)
- Total time requirement: Monthly commitment for minimum of 1 year
- Schedule: Flexible based on client and volunteer availability, some daytime availability necessary for pick-up 1x a month
- Work site: Community based, dependent on client location
A note on box pick-up: Pick-up to be completed at Brooklyn Park facility.
TO APPLY: Visit the opportunity on our portal, www.volunteer.2harvest.org and click on Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities to see all available roles. If the opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, click on "Respond" to express your interest and complete the initial steps in the process. After responding, you’ll get an email confirming your interest and a link to our application.
Questions? Reach out to Bri Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Second Harvest Heartland
7101 Winnetka Ave No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships. At Second Harvest Heartland, our volunteer partners do more than enrich our work, they ground us to our mission of ending hunger together. We integrate volunteers into all aspects of creating and delivering solutions that will free our neighbors of hunger.
More than a food bank, Second Harvest Heartland is a leading partner in the policies and programs that work to end hunger, like SNAP, school meals and senior nutrition programs, and we’re an innovator in the areas where food can be the solution, like FOODRx and Minnesota Central Kitchen.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs. Each year we distributed more than 100 million meals to our partners in hunger-relief. Learn more at 2harvest.org.
Click here to visit our volunteer portal www.volunteer.2harvest.org and view all available opportunities.
Multiple locations Minneapolis, MN 55428
June 22, 2022
- Elder care
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 1 year commitment of monthly delivery, approx. 1-3 hours per month depending on how many clients a volunteer is paired with.