Yoga Power Volunteer Leadership Committee 2020-2021
American Lung Association of Florida - Central Area
The American Lung Association is preparing to launch a brand new initiative, Yoga Power, which is a school-based program to teach children about the importance of their lung health!
Our initiative consists of three main focuses, which are lung health education, physical activity, and fundraising. This three-pronged approach within the Yoga Power initiative ensures that children can learn about the importance of promoting lung health and preventing lung disease directly from their classrooms.
By practicing yoga, children learn how to exercise, discover the power of their breath, develop confidence and strengthen the mind‐body connection. Children enjoy amazing benefits from yoga, both physically and mentally. Yoga Power includes education around the importance of proper lung health and will teach healthy breathing practices to every child. It is accompanied with a unique opportunity for students to raise money and earn incentives.
The Central Florida American Lung Association has formed a volunteer leadership committee with the following objectives for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Assist in securing meetings with school principals
- Assist in identifying child champions for Yoga Power
- Encourage, motivate, and inspire your school to get involved with Yoga Power. Explain how students can be rewarded for their fundraising. Help to bring the program to life. Using the tools and materials provided in the Yoga Power kit to help students learn about lung health and the importance of raising funds for research and programs.
- Assist in implementing and energizing the communication plan to parents, students, and teachers
- Work to create synergy across subject matters and administration to support Yoga Power
- Assist in securing classroom fundraising prizes (pizza party, ice cream party, etc).
The Yoga Power Leadership Committee is meeting quarterly via conference call with the goal this year of building a strong foundation of relationships and excitement around Yoga Power. Upcoming meetings will be held on November 19 th, February 16 th, and April 20 th.
About American Lung Association of Florida - Central Area
851 Outer Road, Orlando, FL 32814, US
The American Lung Association in Florida, Central Area office in Orlando Florida, provides several community-based programs which help promote lung health, including asthma education, smoking prevention, air pollution awareness, and support group programs for people with lung disease. For more information, please call (407) 425-LUNG (5864) or 800-LUNG-USA and press 1.
Programs dealing with asthma include: Open Airways For Schools, an asthma education program in elementary schools and Asthma 101, a single presentation program delivered by an asthma educator of asthma specialist. Programs dealing with tobacco include Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) a small group voluntary quit smoking program for adolescents and Freedom From Smoking (FFS) our small group quit smoking program for adults. We also offer the Better Breathers Club (BBC) in locations across Central Florida. BBC is a series of educational support meetings for people with lung disease. We also offer our Lung Cancer Support Group, a volunteer-led forum for support and learning for lung cancer patients and their caregivers hosted in our office on the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30pm.