Legal Field Team, Fluent in English, Qualified Lawyer
Advocates Abroad is a global network of diverse professionals dedicated to humanitarian aid for refugees and asylum seekers. Our field teams are local and foreign attorneys, interpreters, asylum experts, medical and psychosocial service providers.
Field teams serve in permanent offices, located in the European Union, Middle East, and North America. Remote legal aid and psychosocial services teams provide legal aid hotlines in several languages and 24/7 online assistance.
The primary duty of the Legal Field Team is to assist asylum applicants with interview and appeals preparation. These Advocates frequently assist in different forms of legal and non-legal aid, such as hospital escorts, accompanying asylum seekers to interviews, and assistance with crisis intervention of asylum seekers at risk.
- Duration: Minimum one month (4 weeks), longer term applicants preferred.
- Qualified legal training or legal degree required.
- Languages: Fluency in English, and Arabic, Farsi highly desirable.
- Strong interest in the refugee and asylum law.
- Previous experience in refugees and asylum seeker claims in EU.
- Integrity, cultural sensitivity and ability to maintain confidentiality required.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for the interview.
- Successful candidates will have to complete an online training program (40 hours of self-study).
- All successful field teams shall pass a 10 question quiz and assessment of regional knowledge and applicable laws prior to deployment.
- Field Teams may be placed in one of eight team locations within Greece (islands or mainland) or in one of three locations in Italy. Applicants are encouraged to state location preference while applying.
- This position is unpaid, though training is provided.
How to apply
Submit CV and letter of interest to email@example.com with the subject line "Legal Field Team" Please note only complete applications will be reviewed.
About ADVOCATES ABROAD
1255 NUUANU AVE APT E702, HONOLULU, HI 96817, US
Advocates is a legal aid non-profit that has supported refugees in the European Union and elsewhere in the world, since it was founded in 2016 by an American lawyer who saw that lawyers could make a life and death difference to refugees seeking asylum and safety in Greece and other European Union states. Over 1000 Advocates volunteer lawyers, MHPPS specialists, and interpreters have served in field missions to help over 40,000 refugees. The heart of Advocates mission is to support people applying for protection to protect them from being returned to deadly threats in the countries they fled.
Advocates Abroad is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to humanitarian aid in crisis zones.
Advocates, both field & remote, are local & foreign attorneys, interpreters, asylum experts and medical professionals.
Since 2016, Advocates teams have been trained and deployed to various locations to provide critical legal aid to thousands of refugees and asylum seekers in the EU and Middle East.
Advocates Abroad does not accept any form of compensation from any refugee or asylum seeker for any service provided.
Advocates Abroad serves all refugees and asylum seekers in need, without discrimination of background or identity.