Volunteer Board Member
The YMCA is a charitable organization committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to flourish in spirit, mind and body. Everything we do is guided by our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
The Somerset/Bridgewater YMCA is seeking individuals with a passion for making a difference in the lives of others to serve on our Board of Directors. We are interested in those who are excited about our mission and are willing to champion the Y cause throughout the community. Ideally, you should have prior experience serving on a nonprofit board or in a volunteer leadership role. Candidates must reside or work in the greater Somerville/Bridgewater area. Our Board members serve a three-year term and may be re-elected for three successive terms.
- Embrace and help to advance the Y mission. Become knowledgeable about Y programs and services and be an advocate for the Y in the community.
- Wholeheartedly support fundraising efforts by providing leadership and solicit donations required for sustaining and advancing the Y’s mission. Serve as a key fundraiser for our 6-week Annual Campaign, achieving financial goals and objectives.
- Make a personal leadership gift to the annual fundraising campaign at a level commensurate with your ability.
- Work on at least one committee where your interests, background and experience would be of value to the organization.
- Serve as an active board member by attending at least 75% of board meetings and respective committee meetings. Prepare in advance for the meetings, review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Attend Y events and activities and champion the Y cause within the community.
- Assist with the identification, cultivation and recruitment of potential new Board members
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Somerville YMCA
2 Green Street, Somerville, NJ 08876, US
The Y is a charitable organization committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living an social responsibility. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to flourish in spirit, mind and body. Everything we do is guided by our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Together we transform lives for brighter futures. We believe that we each deserve the opportunity to achieve our highest potential, live a meaningful life and create a brighter future. Our programs are focused on key areas:
- Nurture confident kids - all children need opportunities to help them realize their potential. At the Y, children develop self-esteem, independence and leadership in a safe, nurturing environment.
- Inspire improved health - being healthy in spirit, mind and body allows everyone to live life to its fullest. Healthy living is core to the Y's mission. Everyday, individuals of all ages, abilities and backgrounds are encouraged to live active lives and be their best selves for a brighter outlook.
- Foster social connections - we improve lives by providing financial assistance to qualifying individuals and families, so that everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. We also give back to neighbors through subsidized programs that creative a sense of connectedness and hope for those who need it most - all to build a brighter community.