Board Member / Real Estate Committee
Habitat for Humanity of Snohomish County
The Real Estate Committee Chairperson will facilitate the affiliate’s board-approved objectives for the Real Estate Committee as well as serve as a member of the Board of Directors. The chairperson will coordinate the work of the committee, delegate responsibilities to accomplish its goals and report back to the full board.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Know Habitat for Humanity's mission, purposes, goals, policies, programs, services, strengths, and needs.
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Participate in long and short-range strategic planning for the organization and establish policies for the effective management of the organization.
- Review and approve annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission
- Attend special events such as fundraisers and ground breaking ceremonies
- Hiring and evaluating the performance of the executive director.
- Assisting the executive director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Ensuring HFHSC’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities it serves
- Keep current on affordable housing issues and developments in program areas
- Strictly adhere to conflict of interest policies
- Strictly adhere to confidentiality policies
- Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability
Committee Chair Responsibilities:
- Call and convene regular committee meetings.
- Set the agenda for committee meetings.
- Appoint a member of the committee to act as committee secretary.
- Assign responsibilities to committee members to ensure excellent performance of committee objectives.
- Prepare reports to the board on committee activities, recommendations, and questions.
- Welcome and orient new members to the committee.
- Oversee training for committee members.
- Direct the writing of an annual report of all committee activities with recommendations for next year.
- Direct the development of an annual plan and submit a budget request to the board.
- Meet with the in-coming chair and transfer records, files, etc.
- The Real Estate Committee Chair must serve as a member of the Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity of Snohomish County.
- Have a demonstrated interest and understanding of Habitat for Humanity’s mission and the desire to promote it.
- Specific experience and/or knowledge in at least one area: residential and/or commercial real estate, real estate law, mortgage lending, multi-family housing development, affordable housing development
- Ability to facilitate the process of decision-making and maintain an objective focus.
- Ability to ensure the confidentiality of all matters discussed within board and committee meetings.
About Habitat for Humanity of Snohomish County
16929 Highway 99, Suite 100, Lynnwood, WA 98037, US
Seeking to put God's love into action, Habitat for Humanity of Snohomish County brings people together to build homes, community and hope. We envision a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to live.
Habitat for Humanity of Snohomish County is a registered charity and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Washington. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Through financial support and volunteering, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves. Through shelter, we empower.