9 people are interested
Community Outreach Volunteer
9 people are interested
We’re looking for talented individuals who are enthusiastic about communication, relationship building and program design and implementation with diverse and underrepresented communities, to join our Western MD team.
The ideal volunteer will possess general knowledge of the local western MD community (Carroll, Frederick, Washington, Allegany and Garrett counties) as well as a strong familiarity with public health campaigns, diverse communities, communications and program development.
We’re ready to do whatever it takes to let EVERYONE know that the Association is here, in their community, available to provide FREE information, resources, support and connection to groundbreaking research and services. Community Outreach volunteers will assist staff with outreach to local community groups, businesses and key partners for the Public Health Outreach Program for Western MD (PHOP WMD).
- Assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of The Public Health Outreach Program for Western MD (PHOP WMD) with a focus on the following underrepresented communities:
- Spanish speaking communities,
- Faith communities
- Diverse racial and ethnic communities
- Reach out and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders and community leaders to support The PHOP WMD initiatives
- Provide training and consultation for key stakeholders in these communities;
- Research and catalog organizations that include a large percentage of our target communities
- Maintain a log of outreach activities
- Develop new and creative ideas to reach our target communities
- Assist with compiling logistical reports for various part of the PHOP WMD programs
- Research persons and organizations of interest for inclusion in future projects and programs
- Aggregate and compile data
- Lead community organizing efforts for selected PHOP WMD programs and events with the assistance of other staff and partners.
- Make presentations and/or attend relevant community events which may take place in the evenings and on weekends.
- Staff community events and tabling opportunities.
- Support PHOP WMD communications strategies, including e-communication, media strategy, fact sheets, and other materials.
Outreach volunteers will have the opportunity to:
- Develop real-world experience developing and implementing public health outreach
- Increase their cross-cultural competencies
- Advance writing, communication and public speaking skills
- Gain experience working in a nonprofit setting and as a member of a team
- Participate in organizing community-based events and activities
- Make career connections with community leaders, innovators and partners
- Excellent organizational and computer skills and attention to detail
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills (written and spoken)
- Interest in dementia public health programming especially in underrepresented communities
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Self-starter - ability to work remotely with regular check-ins
- A mature sensitivity to working with people of diverse identities and backgrounds
- Ability to problem-solve, multitask, and work independently
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours per month
- Possess or are currently working towards a bachelor’s degree
- Able to work remotely with your own computer and Internet access.
About Alzheimer's Association, Greater Maryland Chapter, Western MD Office
108 Byte Drive, Suite 103, Frederick, MD 21702, US
Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease and related dementia through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
The Alzheimer's Association provides care and support through our 24/7 toll free Helpline, our early stage programs including Memory Cafes, social engagement programs and support groups, Family and Caregiver Support Groups that meet in-person, on the phone or online, we provide care consultations either in-person or on the phone through the Helpline, we educate the community through our Free Community Education programs - available in-person or online, we provide healthcare professionals with reliable tools to assess cognitive impairment and to educate people living with dementia to manage symptoms and care planning resources, we raise awareness through local campaigns, we train advocates whose voices are critical in engaging elected officials at the state and national level regarding a national plan to fight and manage Alzheimer's disease and provide support for families and to increase federal funding for research and we raise funds for programs, support, education, awareness and research through our WALKs and other fundraising activities. Plus much more!
Western Maryland - Including:Garrett, Allegany, Cumberland, Washington,Frederick and Carroll CountiesFrederick, MD 21702
September 1, 2021
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Community Outreach
- Internet Research
- People Skills
- Project Management
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible - prefer minimum of 10 hours per month
- Internet access and access to computer at least while we are still working from home until the end of COVID19 pandemic