72 people are interested
Mentor Volunteer -- Friends for Youth
ORGANIZATION: Friends for Youth
Please visit the new page to apply.
72 people are interested
Friends for Youth is actively recruiting volunteer mentors to serve youth within the Bay Area of California. Volunteer mentors have the opportunity to serve in one of our mentoring programs: 1-to-1 Mentoring and Group Mentoring.
- Volunteer mentors are matched 1-to-1 with a youth, ages 8-17, living in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. Our program includes either a 1 year or 6 month commitment to ensure youth develop a long-term, trusting relationship with their mentor. Friendships are carefully matched according to interests, hobbies, and skills, with consideration of where mentors live and work.
- 1-to-1 mentorships will start virtual for 2-3 months, then transition to in-person for the remainder of the mentorship. Guidelines may be subject to change as provided through the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Friends for Youth School-Based Mentoring Program matches students with mentors in small groups for interactive group mentoring sessions. Sessions focus on goal-setting, school engagement, decision making, and healthy life skills and activities.
- The program provides students with support and resources to be successful in high school.
- Friends for Youth is not currently accepting applications for our Group Mentoring Program for the 2021-2022 academic year, but will resume mentor recruitment in Spring 2022.
To create quality mentoring relationships for the youth who need them most.
Friends for Youth was established in 1979, and since our inception, we have worked to support children who would otherwise go unserved, with an emphasis on positive youth development, academic achievement, health and wellness, prevention services, and critical skills for future self-sufficiency.
About Friends for Youth
1741 Broadway First Floor, Redwood City, CA 94063, US
Creating quality mentoring relationships for youth who need them most.
Friends for Youth creates and cultivates friendships between at-risk youth and adult volunteers who serve as positive role models, helping kids to grow into responsible, productive members of the community. We seek caring adults who would like to make a difference in the lives of young people.
For our longest standing 1-to-1 program, volunteers spend at least two hours each week with a child for at least 6 months, doing fun activities they both enjoy. Friends for Youth staff organize two to three group activities each month such as going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, museums, plays or baseball games.
We also have our Group School-based Mentoring program, where volunteers get to mentor a small group of students at their campus. We work with grades 7-9 and mentor students across the Bay Area. Volunteer mentors help lead activities and facilitate discussions with the students, while making valuable connections like they would in a 1:1 setting!
Friends for Youth's Program Coordinators provide training and ongoing, individualized support to all volunteers to ensure the success of each friendship.
3460 W Bayshore Rd. Suite 203Palo Alto, CA 94303
April 19, 2022
- Youth Services
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 1-to-1 Volunteer Mentors : ( 2hrs./week for 6 months or 1 year) Group Volunteer Mentors : ( 1hr./week for 1 academic year)
- Looking for San Francisco Bay Area resident volunteers, at least 20 years old, and access to reliable internet with camera.