Job Coaches needed - help your neighbor pursue meaningful work
MAM Literacy Advance Program
Do you enjoy helping people hone their workplace skills and pursue meaningful work?
Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM) Employment Services is a self-sufficiency program that helps clients identify and overcome their obstacles to finding and keeping a steady, meaningful job, helping them gain the edge to compete in today’s tough job market. Clients are highly motivated and willing to learn. Staff and volunteers work together to cultivate an attitude of caring, understanding, encouragement, and support, while creating an environment of positive attitude and the expectation of personal responsibility and hard work from participants. All MAM Employment Services programming is offered at no charge to clients.
In this volunteering opportunity, Job Coaches primarily provide one-on-one Job Coaching and facilitate Job Readiness classes to prepare clients get a job, keep a job, and for advancement. The Coaching topics include Resume Writing, Interviewing Skills, Creating an Elevator Speech, Job Search Strategies, Dealing with Obstacles, and building Soft Skills.
Since many of your clients may be learning English in addition to searching for a steady and meaningful job, ESL Training (two, 2-hour sessions via Zoom) is provided. We ask that Job Coaches commit to 1 day per week, 3 hours at a time, for a duration of 6 months to a year. Typically, Job Coaches see one client per hour (3 clients per day). Currently Job Coaching is held remotely and will move to in-person when able (Westchase District).
We ask that you have:
- Demonstrated ability to work with persons from all walks of life and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Ability to easily build rapport and trust with clients.
- Strong understanding of the hiring process, including hands-on experience in recruiting, interviewing, screening, OR assisting and supporting job applicants.
- Strong interpersonal skills at both the individual and group level; specifically, the ability to listen empathetically to clients and to suggest corrective courses of action persuasively; AND the ability to create and deliver presentations before groups
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks in an environment with no support staff.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in business administration or human resource management plus three years of coaching/training experience; OR Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a social science plus five years of coaching/training experience in a business or HR setting, OR a high school diploma plus ten years of coaching/training experience in a business or HR setting.
- Self-sufficient in MS Office, email, Internet, etc.
- English fluency (read, write, speak, and understand)
About MAM Literacy Advance Program
2424 Wilcrest Dr, #120, Houston, TX 77042, US
The mission of Memorial Assistance Ministries (MAM) is to ensure that families have the means to meet their basic needs. The Literacy Advance program at MAM works alongside adults to improve their English language and literacy skills so that they can achieve their goals of becoming engaged members of our Houston community.
Volunteers work with small groups of adults who are learning English (speaking and listening focus). Our approach empowers and equips volunteers to lead small groups in learning together around a table, rather than a "lecture-from-the-front" method, encouraging students to speak as much as possible.
Adults in English classes are placed according to their ability level, in groups of around 5 - 8 learners. Volunteers do not need to speak another language to lead a class, as we strongly encourage all classes to be conducted in English. This program is known as ESL (English as a Second Language). We provide training, resources, and plenty of support.
Volunteers have flexibility when selecting a schedule from a variety of options, across three semesters every year. Core classes are held twice a week (Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday for 2 hours each lesson) or once a week (Friday or Saturday, for 3 hours each lesson). Each core class meets for a total of 48 hours of class time - classes that meet twice a week are scheduled for 12 weeks, and classes that meet once a week are scheduled for 16 weeks.
There are other, shorter, options for supplemental classes; these vary so get in touch to learn more!