Join Astar's Team to Help Support Healthcare Workers
Astar Education Institute
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
7 people are interested
Astar Education Institute is a local non-profit organization that helps train caregivers and healthcare workers for the aging population and those who can't take care of themselves in the United States. With the COVID-19 situation in the world having more impact than ever, it is so important to train caregivers who are kind, nurturing, skilled, and knowledgeable. Please consider helping support this mission of Astar and volunteer with us today!
Astar offers the following programs: Nursing Assistant, Personal Care Aide, Medication Aide, EKG Technician and English as a Second Language.
There are a wide variety of opportunities available (virtual and in-office) including:
-Helping spread the word about Astar to the local community (online and/or in-person)
-Helping with daily duties in the office
-Helping to recruit students for all programs (can be done virtually)
-Writing PSA's and helping to tell the story of our successful students who have worked hard to make a career change during the epidemic and are now caregivers for home care companies and assisted living facilities
-Helping our students learn valuable job skills such as creating resumes & learning interview skills so they can get jobs that will better their lives (opportunities to help with virtual & in-person workshops are available)
-Opportunities to teach virtual ESL classes available for those with teaching experience
This is a great opportunity for high school and university students to learn basic office and marketing skills. It looks great on a college application or resume to have this valuable experience.
All opportunities will contribute towards helping our students learn skills to better their lives and support their families. They are forever grateful & you will be able to see the difference you make in their lives.
**Everyone who comes to Astar's office must answer several questions for a COVID screening, have their temperature checked and wear a mask at all times. Hand sanitizer and gloves are available to all.**
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Astar Education Institute
7864 Donegan Drive, Manassas, VA 20109, US
Our mission is to empower, enlighten, and educate a diverse community of learners through language and culture. Astar’s unique approach seeks to prepare its multi-cultural students for the challenges of an ever-changing global society. For some, this may mean basic literacy and workforce development services and for others, an opportunity to experience a world outside of the classroom through internships, employment and community service here in the United States.
The Astar Education institute is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization developed by the Forte International Exchange Association. Since 1999, Forte and Astar have provided nearly 4,000 students from all over the world the opportunity to study in the United States. Our service is not limited to bringing students to the United States. Our top priority is ensuring that our students are successful and have a positive experience. We screen our students to ensure their academic success and ability to adjust to a foreign culture. Students are then placed with supportive host families. Throughout the application process and their stay in the US, we support the students and verify that they are appropriately accommodated.
The goals of Astar Education Institute are to promote the effective learning of English as well as to create, through language and culture, a community of learners prepared to meet the challenges of a global society.
In order to achieve these goals, the Astar Institute Language Department has developed the following objectives:
- Deliver instruction in English for students to meet their communicative, academic and professional needs
- Train instructors to facilitate the effective learning of English
- Prepare instructors and students to communicate effectively with each other inside and outside of the classroom
- Provide the instructors with the opportunity for professional growth and continuing excellence to ensure quality instruction
- Prepare students for college through test preparation, academic counseling, and career planning
- Conduct research and development activities which support the goals of the language department
- Educate students on the virtues of a trans-cultural global community
- Encourage collaboration with other institutions, such as governmental, civic, business, and industrial, to enhance the role of education in the community at large
- Provide a range of academic support services to students, and specialized support for nontraditional and special-population students
- Provide to students a range of instructional resources to complement traditional classroom education