DONATE TO THIS
57 people are interested
Dog Walking Volunteers Needed
ORGANIZATION: Shanti - San Francisco
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
57 people are interested
ABOUT PETS ARE WONDERFUL SUPPORT (PAWS) & BECOMING A DOG WALK VOLUNTEER:
Since 1987, PAWS has been helping to keep people and their companion animals together. PAWS believes that no one should have to make the difficult choice of caring for themselves or caring for their beloved pets. We provide an array of free comprehensive support services for pets of seniors and individuals living with disability or illness to help alleviate the burden and fear of not being able to keep or care for their pet .
We rely on the generosity and dedication of volunteers to provide many of the support services offered in the PAWS program. We are in need of more dog walking volunteers! If you are an animal lover and want to help our community care for and stay together with their beloved pets, come join our team of amazing dog walk volunteers!
- Minimum age of 16 (or accompanied by parent who is trained PAWS volunteer)
- Physically able to walk assigned dog
- Relevant experience with dogs
- Must attend mandatory PAWS training before starting
- Minimum of 3 to 6 month commitment
- Available for regular, weekly dog walk visits to same client, rain or shine
- Go to clients home and walk their dog for about 45 minutes to and hour each week
- Communicate directly with client to plan visits
- Communicate with staff regarding client and/or pets
- Volunteers do not enter client’s home
- Volunteers will social distance - 6 feet apart
- Volunteers will wear a mask, gloves, and sanitize frequently
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please submit an application here: https://www.tfaforms.com/4755427
About Shanti - San Francisco
730 Polk Street, San Francisco, CA 94109, US
Shanti enhances the quality of life, health and well-being of people living with life-threatening illnesses, including Breast Cancer and HIV/AIDS.
Founded in 1974 by Dr. Charles Garfield, Shanti has been at the forefront of a growing national movement to enhance the quality of life for persons living with life-threatening or chronic illnesses by providing volunteer-based emotional and practical support.
Shanti is a Sanskrit word meaning "inner peace" or "tranquility". It is an appropriate name since, ultimately, all of Shanti's direct service and educational programs are aimed at easing the burdens and improving the well-being of people in difficult life situations.
Key to the success of Shanti's mission is the Shanti Model of Peer Support, which is both a philosophy and a set of techniques that are used throughout our work. It is a way of being with another person that frees both parties to be fully who they are and communicate their feelings to one another. It is a way of being which allows two persons to meet as equals. It is a way of relating to others that is characterized by certain values and attitudes.
Definition of Peer
We define peer as someone who is not necessarily like us in obvious ways, but is someone with whom we share a basic humanity; someone with whom we are equals. All people share universal human experiences. By virtue of this shared humanity, we are all peers. The Shanti Model of Peer Support is based on this equality.
Values Underlying the Shanti Model of Peer Support
- mutual respect
- positive regard
- empowerment of the client (the assumption that the client has the solutions to his or her own problems and does not need your advice of direction)
- genuineness (being oneself, authenticity)
- acceptance of differences (does not mean agreement, but acceptance based on respect)
- empathy (allowing oneself to feel with another person)
- intention to be of service
3170 23rd streetSan FranciscoSan Francisco, CA 94110
November 28, 2023
- Animal Care / Handling
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training