67 people are interested
Spanish Translator - On Call
ORGANIZATION: Breakthrough Silicon Valley
Please visit the new page to apply.
67 people are interested
Breakthrough Silicon Valley is a college-access education nonprofit organization in San Jose dedicated to supporting underserved students to get into college. It serves a diverse student population and communities, including many Spanish-speaking families. To strengthen its responsiveness to the needs of the Latinx communities, BTSV is looking for fluent Spanish-speakers to assist with production and translation of outreach materials, and provide live interpretation in family meetings and presentations.
Below is a list of sample volunteer assignments:
- Translation of family engagement or education materials from English to Spanish (Year-round)
- Calling potential students and families to join the Breakthrough Program. (October to December).
- Translation of family application materials from Spanish to English (December to April)
- Interpretation for family application interviews (April)
- Interpretation for family meetings/events (Occasionally)
- Attend a brief training with our Admissions Associate to understand our recruitment process
- Market our program to families via phone calls, texts, or emails.
- Follow up with families on questions related to our application, documentation needed, or deadline
- On occasion, translate material necessary for postings, flyers, or email communication.
For the time-being, all meetings and presentations will be done virtually. Translation of materials can be done remotely.
This is an on-call volunteer position. Volunteers will be contacted by BTSV whenever a need for translation or interpretation emerges.
Start Date: Immediately
End Date: N/A
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Breakthrough Silicon Valley
1635 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95126, US
Our dual mission is: to prepare talented and motivated but under-resourced middle school students for success in academically rigorous high school programs that will lead them to college. and to inspire and prepare high school and college students to enter and excel in careers in education.
Breakthrough’s innovative Students Teaching Students model partners middle-school students with college and high school students who serve as teachers, role models and mentors, providing real-life examples that it’s 'cool to be smart’. Breakthrough boasts a proven ripple effect of positive results: 93% of Breakthrough student alumni are accepted to college preparatory programs and 72% of Breakthrough teachers, many of whom were Breakthrough students, go on to pursue professional careers in education.
Students commit to a minimum of two years of tuition-free intensive six-week summer sessions and after-school programs in which they take classes in core academic subjects, and participate in elective courses ranging from astronomy to African-American literature. Breakthrough's classes are rigorous and small (a maximum 4:1 student to teacher ratio) and full participation and attendance is expected of every student.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 3, 2022
- This is an on-call volunteer position. Volunteers will be contacted by BTSV whenever a need for translation or interpretation emerges.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish