OTPR: Team Lead Science Program Design (grades 5-8)
Lead team of 3-4 volunteers to develop and/or acquire as well as improve Science STEM Outreach Program curriculum to be delivered to middle school girls (grades 5-8) who are in underserved communities. (The Outreach Programs are typically delivered as after-school programs following a fall/spring semester schedule.)
Lead team of 3-4 volunteers to:
- Provide direction and coaching to your team, build team spirit!
- Develop new and interesting STEM curriculum, and update existing curriculum
- Reach out to content providers for potential partnership
- Produce materials for both Coaches and students to use in the afterschool programs
- Produce extracts of the Curriculum to fit the needs of the class
- Answer Coach questions, and provide advice on curriculum content delivery
- Leverage technology for innovative ways to deliver curriculum
- Use feedback from ongoing classes to improve/enhance existing curriculum
Required Education, Background, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BS and strong background in scientific field
- Experience delivering science curriculum a plus
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Able to adapt and solve problems as they arise
- Willing to volunteer advice and opinion
36 Chatham Road, Summit, NJ 07901, US
Our Mission JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math ("STEM") education to pre-teen and teenage girls and underserved children in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st century problem solving skills, and self esteem. Our Goals Reduce the gender gap in STEM participation by serving 25,000 girls by 2025 Bridge the innovation gap in STEM education by introducing novel formats for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Address the opportunity gap by expanding access to STEM programs in underserved communities
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.