Reading Partners Tutor
WHO WE ARE: Reading Partners is an education nonprofit that mobilizes community volunteers to provide one-on-one literacy tutoring to elementary students who are behind grade level proficiency in reading . Becoming a volunteer tutor requires no previous experience, as we provide an easy-to-follow curriculum that includes step-by-step lesson plans to teach an effective lesson.
Reading Partners Connects is Reading Partners’ online tutoring program that helps meet the needs of schools, students, and communities. Reading Partners Connects video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgLeMOUAUfI&t=0s.
- Work one-on-one with an elementary school student reading below grade level.
- Follow the Reading Partners Connects structured curriculum.
- Attend four hours of training over the course of two orientations.
- Routine 15-30 minute check ins with a Reading Partners team member.
- Complete a background check.
- Commit to a minimum of one hour per week for a semester.
- Follow the guidelines in our Tutor Code of Conduct.
- Assist Reading Partners staff in maintaining safe and effective tutoring sessions.
- Provide a meaningful way to get involved in your local community in an online environment.
- Provide an easy-to-follow curriculum.
- Provide staff support in the form of a distance tutoring coordinator to help support volunteers and students as they complete their sessions.
- Train and empower volunteers to effectively support students’ academic progress.
- Respond promptly and thoughtfully to volunteer questions.
- Support students and families with access to technology and tutoring sessions.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN A READING PARTNERS CONNECTS TUTOR:
- A positive attitude toward learning, diversity, and students.
- Open to feedback and coaching.
- Patience and empathy for students while holding high expectations.
- An ability to interact effectively with diverse student populations.
- Commitment to your student and tutoring schedule.
- Access to reliable wifi, PC, Mac, or Chromebook computer with a functioning webcam and microphone. If this isn’t possible but you are still interested in participating, please contact us.
Sign up today at www.readingpartners.org/volunteer.
Have additional questions?
Email us at volunteerTUL@readingpartners.org, or call (918) 949-1979
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Reading Partners
907 S. Detroit Ave, Suite #600, Tulsa, OK 74120, US
Our mission is to help children become lifelong readers by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction with measurable results.
Reading Partners is a national education nonprofit dedicated to improving students’ reading skills. We work in Title I elementary schools to support students from low-income communities who are reading 6 months to 2.5 years below grade-level.
We recruit and train community volunteers to work one-on-one with students for just over an hour once a week, following a structured, research-based curriculum.
Strong reading skills are essential. Students reading below grade level in third grade are four times as likely as their peers to drop out of school before earning their diploma. Dropping out of school and failing to attend college comes with a real price both to the individual and to society. High school dropouts are more likely than those who graduate to be arrested or have a child while still a teenager.
The challenge is significant. According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress in 2019, just 35% of our nation’s fourth graders could read proficiently. Once students start to fall behind in reading, they tend to fall faster and further behind their peers with every year.
Reading Partners works. Reading Partners builds a partnership with teachers, parents, and community volunteers to provide students the support they need to succeed. By providing volunteer tutors research-based, structured lesson plans designed to focus on the individual needs of our students, Reading Partners is helping students become strong, confident readers with a passion for learning.