Every day in the United States more than 565,000 children are living life-limiting, chronic conditions, and 5,000 of them are within the last 6 months of their lives. More than 53,000 children die in this country annually - over 80% in hospitals. These families experience financial, relational and emotional impact of such prolonged hospital stays.
Currently, there are only three children’s palliative care homes in the US. Ladybug House seeks to build Washington’s first family-centered palliative care home to provide quality respite and palliative care to children and young adults with life-limiting illnesses in a homelike setting full of life, love and respect that will ultimately improve the quality of life of the patient, and their families. We will celebrate every day, every moment, and every life.
Throughout the project, duties and responsibilities may include:
- Perform migration from Squarespace to Wordpress including importing content, web hosting, etc.
- Manage the design and implementation of new site from initial concept to finished deliverable
- Design, code, test, and implement web sites and applications, for either internal or external uses
- Support and maintain existing web applications
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability
- Debug, correct, and update errors or exceptions in the front end or back end systems
- Write code to implement visual elements into various web applications
- Assist in troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose application and server related problems
- Communicate with team members about current projects
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Web Development or relevant field preferred
- Proficient in building and maintaining websites built in WordPress (including theme and plugin development)
- Understanding of the entire web development process from design to deployment
- Proactive and resourceful self-starter attitude. Highly reliable/dependable
SCHEDULE AND TIME COMMITMENT
- This is a remote, volunteer position
- 12 month project with the possibility of extension
- You must be able to commit to a minimum of 5 - 8 hours per week
- You will work closely with the CEO and the Volunteer Coordinator. The schedule is flexible where volunteers have the freedom to determine their own hours.
While our volunteers are not financially compensated for their effort, volunteers in this position can find the following benefits through assisting Ladybug House:
- Be part of history! Ladybug House will be the first respite care facility of its kind for youth and families in the Pacific Northwest.
- FREE educational workshops and training
- Make a meaningful impact to youth, young adults, and families who are in need of palliative and respite care services.
- Gain nonprofit industry experience to build resume.
- Earn service-learning hours that can count toward school or university requirements.
- Be a member of a community passionate about Ladybug House’s mission and vision.
About LADYBUG HOUSE
1215 4th Ave, Suite 1200, SEATTLE, WA 98161, US
If we cannot add days to the life of a child, we will add life to their days.
Ladybug House is a grassroots organization working to build Washington's first free standing, community based palliative care home with end-of-life support for children, adolescents and young adults with life limiting illnesses in Seattle. Ladybug House seeks to support families and loved ones, providing rest and rejuvenation for caregivers in a respectful, loving atmosphere. We hope to bring the comfort of home to a medical setting that also meets the emotional, spiritual, and psychosocial needs of each family. If needed, Ladybug House will bridge the gap between home and hospital, offering a place of solace for hospice care.