Disaster Sheltering Volunteer
American Red Cross - Alaska Region
Have you ever wanted to help during a disaster?
Are you willing to travel to help set up shelters for evacuees?
Disaster Sheltering Volunteers will volunteer in-person at Red Cross shelters before, during, and/or after a large-scale disaster (such as hurricanes, wildfires, flooding, etc.). They complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance/comfort for disaster clients. Disaster Sheltering Volunteers participate in the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, cleaning, set-up/tear-down and so much more.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a Covid-19 environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross
- Providing excellent client service
- Supporting the daily maintenance of the shelter operation
- Following the directions of and providing feedback to the Shelter Supervisor
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
- Completing the required virtual self-paced training
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Must be able to handle stressful situations
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication
- Lift/carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift
- Walk on uneven terrain
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity or extreme cold
- Climb two or more flights of stairs
- Speak clearly on phone and in-person
- Basic computer skills are needed
- Drive during daytime and at night
- Willing to complete required virtual training, in a timely fashion
- Understand that there may not be ready access to electricity and cell/wifi connectivity
- Ability to sleep in a shelter situation on cots - should the need arise
- Conflict management skills (a plus)
- People skills and relationship building skills (a plus)
All training is provided via the internet and at no cost to the volunteer.
If you are interested in volunteering for this position and want to apply or would like more information visit, https://bit.ly/readytodeploy.
If you want to talk with a Volunteer Specialist for more information you can reach out to Kaitlin.email@example.com
About American Red Cross - Alaska Region
235 East 8th Avenue, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99501, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.