19 people are interested
PODS: Tech/Coding Program Design Team Member (grades 5-8)
Please visit the new page to apply.
19 people are interested
As a member of a team of 3-4 volunteers, develop and/or acquire as well as improve Tech STEM Outreach Program curriculum to be delivered to middle school girls (grades 5-8) who are in underserved communities. (The Outreach Programs are typically delivered as after-school programs following a fall/spring semester schedule.)
- Develop new and interesting STEM curriculum, and update existing curriculum
- Reach out to content providers for potential partnership
- Produce materials for both Coaches and students to use in the afterschool programs
- Produce extracts of the Curriculum to fit the needs of the class
- Answer Coach questions, and provide advice on curriculum content delivery
- Leverage technology for innovative ways to deliver curriculum
- Learn and practice the curriculum concepts (block coding, programming, MIT App Inventor, emulators)
- Use feedback from ongoing classes to improve/enhance existing curriculum
- Be a proactive team member and be part of building a fun and exciting team!
Required Education, Background, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of MIT App inventor
- Understanding of coding concepts (loops, variables, conditionals etc.)
- Understanding of block coding
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Able to adapt and solve problems as they arise
- Willing to volunteer advice and opinion
Weekly Time Commitment Required
- 5 hours weekly
Virtual Locations, Florham Park, NJ 07901, US
At this time, we are only able to enlist the help of volunteers with an address in the United States or Canada. If you are not located in the United States or Canada, pls do not apply to JerseySTEM and and good luck applying to the many great charities who are equipped to manage non US/Canada based volunteers. Good Luck. JerseySTEM is a grassroots 501(c) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math ("STEM") education to girls grade 5-8 from underserved communities in New Jersey. We partner with socially responsible companies and their employees, youth organizations in underserved communities, and civic-minded college students and universities. Together we develop and deliver innovative, hands-on, and online afterschool projects and inquiry-based learning opportunities that develop teamwork, 21st-century problem-solving skills, and self-esteem.
Incorporated in 2013, JerseySTEM started bringing afterschool enrichment programs to middle school girls in 2015.
We have since provided 1,000 students with exposure to afterschool enrichment programs delivering more than 20,000 hours of instruction. Students learn to code, build robots, solve problems and through that process gain self-esteem and confidence that they can be the leaders of tomorrow.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
June 29, 2023
- Teaching / Instruction
- Computer Science
- Basic Computer Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- 5 hours / week, minimum 6 month commitment
- JerseySTEM is a virtual organization. Volunteers work remotely and use their personal computer and wifi.