Help others in our Nation! Become Trained and Prepared for Hurricane Sheltering
American Red Cross Serving Kansas and Oklahoma
Hurricane season is upon us and this year we anticipate a doozy. Consider joining us to be prepared to help, just in case. Please contemplate stepping up and helping at shelters when disasters strike, as a Shelter Associate or Shelter Supervisor. Both are temporary positions assigned to work in-person at a Red Cross shelter before, during, and/or after a disaster event. Specialized training addressing opening a shelter with COVID-19 communities to be provided.
Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. They support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
- Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
- Completing the required virtual self-paced training (3 hours of training total)
- Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
- Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Walk on uneven terrain.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Drive in daytime and at night
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
- Willing to complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
- Ability to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English
Thank you for sharing your time and passion for helping your community by volunteering with the American Red Cross.
About American Red Cross Serving Kansas and Oklahoma
10151 East 11th Street, Tulsa, OK 74128, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Local non-Profit offering several lines of service to local communities to provide life saving blood and blood products, disaster preparedenss, response and recovery, and serve our military through services to armed forces.