Board Of Trustees - General Member and Treasurer
THE NORTHERN NEW JERSEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Northern New Jersey Community Foundation (NNJCF) is seeking new members for our Board of Trustees, including a Treasurer. These are volunteer positions with an expectation to engage in fundraising activities in support of the Foundation. Potential candidates should live or work in the northern NJ region, have strong connections to the region, and be passionate about fostering collaboration among diverse constituents to build sustainable solutions to local challenges. Treasurer candidates should have a background in finance and an understanding of non-profit finance and operations.
The Board of Trustees is the governing body for the Northern New Jersey Community Foundation. The Board is legally and financially responsible for the actions of NNJCF. The primary duty of the Board is to establish, and from time to time review and modify, NNJCF’s philosophy and overall policies and to support effective communication to all constituencies of the Northern New Jersey community. The Board will focus on strategic issues and operate under a consensus decision-making framework whenever possible.
- Trusteeship: Responsible for all Foundation practices, activities, and initiatives; communicating them effectively to constituencies, protecting the mission, and ensuring public accountability.
- Planning: Plan and set the direction for the future.
- Policy: Establish, and as needed, review and modify the Foundation’s philosophy, and the policies and practices that govern operations, human resources, initiatives as part of the Foundation’s operations and programs.
- Resource Development: Oversee the fiscal affairs of the Foundation, including fundraising and the approval of the budget and investment policies.
- Community-minded; has connections within his/her community.
- Organizational/corporate background (finance, foundation, fundraising, marketing/communications, legal)
- Knowledgeable of the economic, environmental, political, social, and cultural issues of the communities in Northern New Jersey.
- Can apply resources (Work, Wisdom, Wealth) to the needs of the Foundation.
- Safeguard the organization’s mission and purpose.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability.
- Enhance the organization’s public standing.
- Build and maintain a competent board.
- Effective organizational planning; revision and implementation of strategic plan.
- Establish and periodically review operating policies.
- Assess and strengthen Foundation initiatives, especially in climate action/environment and arts.
- Oversee fiscal health, including review of audits and financial documentation.
- Assure adequate financial resources.
- Protect assets and manage resources wisely.
- Serve as an active member through participation in board meetings and consultations as needed.
- Serve as an advocate and spokesperson for the NNJCF in his/her social and professional circles.
- Assist in financial development for the organization to secure adequate funds by:
- Making personal financial contributions according to means;
- Actively supporting and overseeing organization’s fundraising efforts.;
- Soliciting contributions from contacts and cultivating new funding sources;
- Supporting grant writing as requested and when appropriate; and
- Assisting with recruitment of new members who have influence, affluence
- Serve for an initial term of one year and subsequent terms of three years. Each term shall end on June 30th of the year of expiration. There shall be no limit on the number of terms that any member may serve.
About THE NORTHERN NEW JERSEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
1 UNIVERSITY PLAZA DRIVE STE 128, HACKENSACK, NJ 07601, US
The mission of the Northern New Jersey Community Foundation (NNJCF) is to improve community life through its work in education, public health, civic engagement, the arts, philanthropy, and the environment. Central to its success is fostering collaboration among local governments, school districts, businesses, non-profits, and citizen groups. Our partners are building stronger communities in Northern New Jersey by answering the question, "What can we achieve together that we cannot alone?"
The Northern New Jersey Community Foundation (NNJCF) was founded in 1998 as the Englewood Community Foundation. The Foundation gradually expanded its geographical reach to the surrounding region and in 2011 was renamed the Northern New Jersey Community Foundation. The mission of this regional resource is to improve community life through its work in education, public health, the arts, the environment, civic engagement, and philanthropy. Central to its success is fostering collaboration among local governments, school districts, businesses, non-profits, and community groups.
NNJCF works with residents and partners across the Northern New Jersey region, including Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren Counties, to identify and addresses critical community issues. By promoting collaboration, the Foundation catalyzes the public’s creative power to think, design, and accomplish regional goals.
In 2014 NNJCF launched ArtsBergen, our Bergen County Arts Initiative, in response to expand the arts in the region and connect local artists to municipal placemaking and arts development. In 2019 we added the Environment and in 2020 are making climate action a major focus area, launching Climate Action Mobilization Program (CAMP). We believe that creating vital, resilient communities is best accomplished when residents work together to find solutions to common problems.