Food Pantry Volunteer at Senior Center
Manny Cantor Center
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
23 people are interested
Our Sirovich Center has continued its support of NYC’s Older Adult community through virtual programming during the pandemic. As social distancing restrictions lessen, Sirovich is reopening its food pantry that occurs weekly. We are looking for volunteers to help support the food pantry that occurs each Wednesday 12pm- 4pm. Volunteers will assist in unloading, organizing, packaging, and distributing food packages to Older Adult members that come to Sirovich for the food pantry.
This is an in-person volunteering opportunity, and we want you to know that many precautions are in place. The facility is sanitized, social distancing is maintained, and PPE supplies are available for those that need it. Additionally, Sirovich will temperature check individuals coming to the site. If you are well and able, you will be providing valuable support to the Sirovich Center during this challenging time.
WHAT IS YOUR COMMITMENT?
- Shifts are every Wednesday 10am-1pm and 12pm-4pm
- We’re flexible if you can only come for a portion of the time but are biggest need is from 10am - 1pm to help support the prep and packaging of food
- Perform a variety of tasks needed; including unloading items, organizing and packaging food items, maintaining order for community members standing in line, checking temperatures of members coming into the building, and passing out packages to those interested
HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Complete our Volunteer Form and request your shift: http://cerv.is/m?0038g2VWPU5
- Agree to the guidelines for the volunteer role
APPLY TO BE A FOOD PANTRY VOLUNTEER IF YOU...
- Are looking for a way to help essential workers and the community during this time of crisis
- You are healthy and feel comfortable volunteering in-person currently and are not a member of a high-risk population for COVID-19
- Over the age of 18 (or accompanied by an adult)
- Are able to comfortably stand for long periods of time and lift objects up to 30 lbs.
About Manny Cantor Center
197 E BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NY 10002, US
We are a new hub for the Lower East Side, a cultural and community center that is committed to bringing together our vibrant and diverse neighborhood. Our newly-renovated space offers award-winning programs, critical services and exciting events for toddlers, teens, young adults, and older adults of all backgrounds.
Our commitment to the diversity of the Lower East Side is reflected in our programming: Head Start classrooms sit alongside our private preschool; the Weinberg Center for Balanced Living creates community for older adults of all backgrounds and abilities; our fitness center is utilized by neighborhood residents of all ethnicities, income levels, and ages through an innovative tiered membership model. The Educational Alliance Art School uses the study and mastery of fine arts to forge connections between students and master teachers. Afterschool programs serve community needs for recreation, fitness, education, and college preparation. Community and cultural programming invites deep conversation and calls to action.
The Manny Cantor Center is the flagship building of Educational Alliance, a community-based organization offering a wide range of programs that integrate education, social services, arts and recreation throughout the Lower East Side and East Village. Created to assist Eastern European Jews immigrating to NYC, it has been serving the area since 1889. Educational Alliance has grown and changed as the Lower East Side has; now serving the diverse population that currently resides here.