49 people are interested
Help Us Get Animals to Their Forever Homes - Adoption Application Processor
ORGANIZATION: Humane Society of Loudoun County
Please visit the new page to apply.
49 people are interested
Join our team to help us save more lives! The Adoption Application Processor will help us quickly and effectively triage and process adoption applications, screen adoption applicants, and select the best forever home possible for each of our available animals so we can continue rescuing and placing animals. The HSLC board has identified this position as one of the highest priorities. Make a difference from the comfort of your home - this opportunity is entirely virtual. Training will be provided by current Adoption Application Processors.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with Adoption Coordinator to disseminate / receive new adoption applications.
- Contact applicant and review application.
- If applicant rents, check with landlord / rental company to make sure they are allowed to have pets. If applicant applies for a dog, check on possible breed restrictions.
- Call references using a list of authorized questions.
- Call the applicant's vet to make sure all current animals are up to date and neutered, as well as inquire if there are any red flags we should know about.
- Schedule and do the home visit / interview with the applicant. Virtual home visits are possible. We adopt animals all over Northern Virginia if the applicant is within reasonable driving distance. A big part of the home visit / interview is counseling applicants on how to introduce new pets to existing pets, introducing adoptees to a new home environment, what to expect when bringing a new pet home - all of which is essential for setting up the adoption for success.
- Provide recommendation to approve or disapprove the application and adoption to the Adoption Coordinator for review and ultimate decision of approval or denial.
- Work with Adoption and Foster Coordinators to arrange transfer of animal, medical paperwork, microchip, and adoption packet.
- Make sure the Adoption Coordinator receives Adoption Agreement and adoption fee payment.
- HSLC Orientation or Training (virtually held every month).
- Time commitment is approximately 15-20 hours a month, but may fluctuate based on the number of animals in our care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with clarity, brevity, friendliness, and respect.
- Demonstrated ability to ask questions and relay information with ease. Ability to ask sometimes uncomfortable questions, depending on the application or where the conversation goes.
- Ability and willingness to educate others on cat care such as food, equipment, why declawing is bad, etc.
- Responsive and reliable. Able to respond to new adoption applications within 24 hours.
- Ability and flexibility to schedule and execute home visits including weekends, evenings, etc. Home visits should be scheduled within 24 hours of request and completed within one week. Home visits take approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Computer and mobile phone access.
- Familiarity with Excel and Google Drive.
- Familiarity with Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp, and other virtual platforms.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines.
Location: Currently all virtual; May include in-person home visits pending the lift of COVID-19 restrictions.
Benefits of volunteering in this role include:
- Essential impact in saving more animals
- Satisfaction of helping animals get to their forever homes
- Invitation to volunteer appreciation events
- Experience in vetting adoption applications
- Opportunity to be highlighted in HSLC's Paw Prints Newsletter and/or HSLC Heroes Newsletter
About Humane Society of Loudoun County
P.O. Box 777, Leesburg, VA 20178, US
We are a foster-based, all-volunteer organization that saves and improves the lives of vulnerable animals by providing care and placing adoptable animals into loving forever homes.
HSLC has been helping animals since our founding in 1966. HSLC has no paid staff nor a physical facility or shelter; all of our animals are in foster homes, display cages at local pet stores, or in temporary boarding until they are adopted into their furever homes.
Thanks to community support, HSLC helped thousands of animals in 2021:
- 185 cat adoptions
- 3 dog adoptions (Note: we need more dog fosters!)
- 111 community cats helped
- 1,165 pets spayed/neutered
- 3,482 Loudoun Pet Pantry animals fed
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
May 31, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 15-20 hours a month