Board of Directors Position
LIGHT OF AFRICA INC
LIGHT OF AFRICA Inc. mission is to promote healthy family relationships, personal well-being,
effective parenting, and employment and financial stability.
For more information, please visit www.lightofafrica.org
Board Member Position
The Board will support the work of Light of Africa, Inc and provide mission-based leadership and
strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Light of Africa, Inc.’s chief executive
officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board
is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements Light of Africa, Inc.’s
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Light of Africa, Inc for evaluating its impact, and
regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and
supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Light of Africa, Inc.’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions;
being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Light of Africa, Inc. to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Light of Africa, Inc’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the
communities Light of Africa Inc. serves
- Make an annual gift "commensurate or significant according to your circumstance" to the
organization (in order to achieve 100% board giving)
- Recruit sponsors, as needed
- Identify and cultivate potential donors
Light of Africa, Inc 's Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for
one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly, and committee meetings will be held in
coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Light of Africa, Inc’s
mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved
leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her
accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in
business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Light of Africa, Inc’s beneficiaries, preferably based on
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading,
convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Light of
Africa, Inc’s beneficiaries
- Service on Light of Africa, Inc’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for
administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About LIGHT OF AFRICA INC
2927 Saint Helen Circle, Silver Spring, MD 20906, US
LIGHT OF AFRICA Inc. mission is to promote healthy family relationships, personal well-being, effective parenting, and employment and financial stability
Light of Africa inc. is a nonprofit organization founded on the belief that women are marginalized and need access to healthcare and educational opportunities. A strong, resilient health system is the key to achieving sustainable improvements in any country.
Therefore, it is critical for us to understand the importance of education for girls and women as an essential step along the path to economic empowerment, gender equality and a catalyst for change in the lives of women, their families and communities.