Reading Connections, Inc
The Program Intern will play an integral role on Reading Connections’ Adult Basic Education (ABE) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Program teams, assisting Program Coordinators with student and instructor support services. The Intern will move beyond entry level tasks to participate in the core work of the agency. There is some room for the position to be tailored to the Intern’s particular abilities, interests, and goals.
Benefits of interning with Reading Connections:
- Gaining experience interacting with low income and/or immigrant and refugee populations who do not speak English as their first language
- Getting to know the workings of a small nonprofit
- Developing your resume and professional network
- Developing office skills
- Never being bored
- Making a difference as part of a great mission!
Interns should be:
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly-organized
- Able to manage multiple projects and adapt to shifting priorities
- Able to work independently and take initiative to identify and address problems
- Able to meet deadlines while also paying close attention to details and accuracy
- Professional and responsible, honoring time and task commitments and communicating promptly about any obstacles
- Committed to professional ethics and able to maintain confidentiality
- Culturally sensitive and willing to grow in that area
- Comfortable working with our diverse population of students and tutors and committed to Reading Connections’ value of respect for all
Special opportunities are available for those with these skills:
- Advanced computer, teaching/education, marketing and strategic communication, graphic design, statistics, foreign language, human resources
The schedule is flexible but prefer candidates who can volunteer 10 hours a week for at least 3 months.
About Reading Connections, Inc
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920, Greensboro, NC 27401, US
Our mission is to help adults live more independently by providing basic literacy services, to increase community awareness of adult literacy needs, and to serve as a resource for the provision of basic literacy services.
One-to-One or Small Group TutoringBasic Reading and Writing AssistanceHelp Learning English as a Second LanguageGED or High School Equivalency PreparationAll Reading Connections services are free and confidential. Reading Connections serves all of Guilford County and has offices in Greensboro and High Point.