Reading Connections, Inc
Almost 80,000 adults in Guilford County struggle with basic literacy skills. Some adult literacy students do not have access to basic technology. This means that not everybody has access to our online programming. Reading Connections exists to support these individuals in reaching their literacy goals through providing them self-paced learning packets. We can’t do it without dedicated volunteers who work with students one-on-one to improve their reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, technology, and employability skills.
- Guide and motivate students to improve their own performance in reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, and technology skills.
- Motivate a native English speaker or non-native English speaker.
- Help enable students to increase their literacy skills and more fully recognize their potential as individuals, employees, and citizens.
- Review and become familiar with the learning packet that has been provided to your student.
- Check in with your student at least once a week. Sessions may last 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Be closely attentive, and use active listening, to gather information about how the student is advancing with their learning packet.
- Reflect and clarify any issues before providing a solution.
- Use questioning skills to guide the student through the problem toward an answer.
- Provide feedback with tact and diplomacy.
- Offer targeted tutoring on literacy or math skills, as needed, or communicate with a Lead Learning Coach for assistance.
- Submit a report after each packet.
- Complete all entry level training sessions.
Learning Coach Training
Training and training manual provided. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Reading Connections, Inc
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920, Greensboro, NC 27401, US
Our mission is to help adults live more independently by providing basic literacy services, to increase community awareness of adult literacy needs, and to serve as a resource for the provision of basic literacy services.
One-to-One or Small Group TutoringBasic Reading and Writing AssistanceHelp Learning English as a Second LanguageGED or High School Equivalency PreparationAll Reading Connections services are free and confidential. Reading Connections serves all of Guilford County and has offices in Greensboro and High Point.