Reading Connections, Inc
Did you know that 1 in 5 adults in Guilford County struggles with basic literacy skills? That's almost 80,000 adults! Reading Connections exists to support these individuals in reaching their literacy goals. We're looking for dedicated volunteers to tutor students one-on-one and in small groups to improve their reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, technology, and employability skills.
- Access to Internet and computer or laptop
- Comfortable using online meeting platforms like Zoom, or willing to learn
- Willing to commit to 2-4 hours a week
- Digital skills necessary
Our traditional tutoring program transitioned to virtual instruction as of March 2020. All volunteer tutors complete a two part training program that qualifies them to tutor one-on-one or in small groups, either virtually via Zoom or WhatsApp. Additional training is offered, including Zoom training. Virtual office hours are held after each tutor training to help tutors acclimate to tutoring on Zoom. Also, we invite all new tutors to shadow an online class. The time commitment for virtual tutoring is 2-4 hours per week. Most tutors find a great deal of satisfaction and reward in the experience!
Tutor training is conducted virtually via Zoom.
During virtual Orientation You Will:
- Learn more about our organization and the students we serve.
- Decide if you'd like to proceed as a tutor via Zoom.
- Learn about the Learning Coach opportunity, tutoring up to 1 hour a week via phone.
- Learn about the Career Coaching opportunity, tutoring 1-2 hours a week via Zoom.
- Sign up for ABE or ESOL Training
- ABE (Adult Basic Education for native English speakers)
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages for non-native English speakers)
During virtual Session Training You Will:
- Learn the basics of tutoring a native or non-native speaker.
- Explore best teaching practices for literacy instruction.
- Discover online resources to deliver remote instruction.
After Tutor Training You Will:
- Receive detailed tutor manuals to support you on your journey.
- Get on the invite list for tutor socials & supplemental trainings.
- Shadow a virtual class at your request.
- Be matched with a student with a similar availability.
Additional Tutoring Opportunities
We also have two additional opportunities with shorter weekly time commitments: (1) a Remote Learning Coach opportunity to tutor via phone and (2) a Remote Career Coach opportunity to tutor via Zoom. Please see those listings for more information.
December Tutor Training Orientation is Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Reading Connections, Inc
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920, Greensboro, NC 27401, US
Our mission is to help adults live more independently by providing basic literacy services, to increase community awareness of adult literacy needs, and to serve as a resource for the provision of basic literacy services.
One-to-One or Small Group TutoringBasic Reading and Writing AssistanceHelp Learning English as a Second LanguageGED or High School Equivalency PreparationAll Reading Connections services are free and confidential. Reading Connections serves all of Guilford County and has offices in Greensboro and High Point.