34 people are interested
Adult Literacy Tutor
34 people are interested
Did you know that 1 in 5 adults in Guilford County, North Carolina struggles with basic literacy skills? That's almost 80,000 adults! Reading Connections exists to support these individuals in reaching their literacy goals. We're looking for dedicated volunteers to tutor students one-on-one and in small groups to improve their reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, technology, and employability skills.
Our ABE (Adult Basic Education) program is seeking tutors to support native English speakers. Training and resources for tutors provided. All tutoring sessions are conducted virtually.
- Access to Internet and computer or laptop
- Comfortable using online meeting platforms like Zoom, or willing to learn
- Willing to commit to 2-4 hours a week
All volunteer tutors complete a two-hour training that qualifies them to tutor one-on-one or in small groups, either virtually via Zoom or WhatsApp. Additional training is offered, including Zoom training. Also, we invite all new tutors to shadow an online class. The time commitment for virtual tutoring is 2-4 hours per week. Most tutors find a great deal of satisfaction and reward in the experience!
Tutor training is conducted virtually via Zoom.
During virtual Session Training You Will:
- Learn more about our organization and the students we serve.
- Learn the basics of tutoring a non-native speaker.
- Explore best teaching practices for literacy instruction.
- Discover online resources to deliver remote instruction.
- Discuss additional volunteer opportunities, including a new Digital Literacy tutoring role.
After Tutor Training You Will:
- Receive detailed tutor manuals to support you on your journey.
- Get on the invite list for tutor socials & supplemental trainings.
- Have the option to shadow a virtual class at your request.
- Be matched with a student with a similar availability.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Reading Connections, Inc
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920, Greensboro, NC 27401, US
Our mission is to help adults live more independently by providing basic literacy services, to increase community awareness of adult literacy needs, and to serve as a resource for the provision of basic literacy services.
- One-to-One or Small Group Tutoring
- Basic Reading and Writing Assistance
- Help Learning English as a Second Language
- GED or High School Equivalency Preparation
122 North Elm Street Suite 920GreensboroGreensboro, NC 27401
September 23, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week
- Digital skills necessary