Fight Hunger! Volunteer Co-Site Leader in San Jose, every Monday, 1:30p-5:30p
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
Everyone should have access to healthy food. Second Harvest provides nutritious groceries and fresh produce at distribution sites throughout Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. These sites are volunteer-run and rely on committed, dedicated volunteers who can support the effort on an ongoing basis. We invite you to lead our community in ensuring that anyone who needs a healthy meal can get one.
A Volunteer Co-Site Leader is needed for Second Harvest’s grocery program at Yerba Buena High School in San Jose. The Co-Site Leader will manage the food distribution with the help of other dedicated volunteers and the support of Second Harvest staff.
The Co-Site Leader is responsible for:
- Ensuring all safety guidelines are followed per standard operating procedures
- Maintaining accurate and confidential client and volunteer records
- Documenting and responding to site or client issues and escalating as appropriate
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Second Harvest staff, employees and volunteers at host site, and the clients we serve
- Creating an efficient yet warm and welcoming environment for volunteers and clients
- Working with people of all different backgrounds and nationalities while exhibiting compassion, humility and sensitivity
- Communicating regularly with Second Harvest staff via phone and email
This volunteer opportunity might be for you if:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You can make a 6 month commitment
- You have the ability to perform with a high standard of customer service, professional conduct and responsibility
- You are friendly, patient and eager to work with clients and volunteers of diverse backgrounds
- You are organized and detail-oriented and have the ability to execute on a plan
- You enjoy working in a fast pace environment with many moving parts
- You have experience responding to issues quickly
- You have experience working with volunteers
- You are able lift 20 pounds
- Are comfortable using email and the internet
Helpful background skills:
- Experience working for a non-profit or representing another organization as a volunteer
- Experience working with low-income families and individuals
- Bilingual in English/Spanish, English/Vietnamese, or English/Chinese
About Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
4001 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95134, US
Lead our community to ensure that anyone who needs a healthy meal can get one.
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley is a private non-profit organization that collects and distributes more than 12 million pounds of food each month. We currently serve an average of over 500,000 individuals each month; 60% are low income families and 20% are seniors. By building collaborative networks, we efficiently distribute food by leveraging donations of money, food and human resources. But we cannot do it alone. We rely upon the energy and commitment of the local community to fight hunger.