Director of Development for Local Non-Profit
RUKUNDO INTERNATIONAL INC
The Director of Development drives the fundraising and awareness strategy for the organization. The Director of Development prepares annual fundraising action plans based on the organization goals set by the Executive Director. The Director of Development leads the implementation of the fundraising strategy and manages the Development Team.
- Responsible for the delivery of a fundraising action plan that aligns with organization objectives, clearly delineates goals and methods of evaluation, and budgets for estimated activity costs and resource needs.
- Leads the Development Team, ensuring oversight of the fundraising strategy implementation, including fundraising activities, special events, community awareness strategy, and management of donors.
- Communicates regular updates on the status of fundraising targets to the Executive Director and Director of Finance, as well as seeks approval for increased budget if needed.
- Aligns event communication and community awareness strategies with the Director of Communications.
- Works with the Director of Human Resources to fill manager roles on the Development Team and to plan for volunteer support of fundraising events and activities.
- As a member of the Executive Director Team, support the development of the overarching organizational strategy, and provide quarterly updates for communication to the Board.
- Participates in Executive Director Team meetings and activities, and communicates updates and highlights to the Team.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours a week
Role Commitment: 2 years
This role is expected to be generally accessible to the Executive Director Team and the Development Team, as well as responsive to emails. As a point of escalation for the Development Team, the Director of Development should be able to be reached within 24 hours for urgent issues, barring times of leave when a delegate should be identified.
As Rukundo International is a small, growing organization, the Director of Development is expected to be a hands-on role, whereas all Development Team duties are expected to be performed by the Director of Development in the absence of other Development Team members. The Director of Development will have full support of the Executive Director and other Functional Directors.
- Experience in developing fundraising strategies and managing fundraising events, as well as experience in donor recruitment and management.
- Experience in leading and managing large teams.
- Experience managing an event budget and understanding financial statements.
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity and flexibility in problem solving
- Demonstrated capacity for interpersonal relations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and supervise others
- Committed to the mission of Rukundo International
- Experienced with MS Office programs
- Qualified degree or equivalent experience
Reports to the Executive Director
Accountable for the Community Outreach Manager, Special Events Manager, Fundraising Manager, and Donor Care Manager.
About RUKUNDO INTERNATIONAL INC
9601 Shadow Oak Drive, Montgomery Village, MD 20886, US
Rukundo International (RI) is dedicated to fostering global awareness between children and adults in the United States and children in East Africa. Our programs provide an opportunity for individuals to authentically learn about new cultures and develop meaningful relationships with those outside their community.
RI was formed to provide educational opportunities, healthcare and nutrition, community-based support, and hope to orphans and other underprivileged and at-risk children and their extended families in Kabale, Uganda.