Home Start, Inc.
Home Start is a non-profit social services agency located in San Diego, California. . We are committed to a community-based collaborative effort to reach children and families at risk in order to prevent child abuse and neglect. Our dedicated staff work on the front lines each day in the battle to keep children safe and help them thrive.
Home Start is seeking a reliable, adaptable volunteer to provide childcare and support clients at the Bright Futures Daycare. This position supervises the children of clients working for Bright Futures Candles. Bright Futures Candles is Home Start's social enterprise and employs young mothers in our program, provides job training, and supports the Maternity Housing Program.
The volunteer intern will work closely with Child Development Specialists as well as the Social Enterprise Production and Childcare Supervisor to provide developmentally appropriate activities in a trauma-informed environment. They will also help out with general care and supervision for the children while maintaining cleanliness and safety protocols related to COVID-19 (including sanitizing toys and surfaces).
The ideal candidate for this position has completed or is working towards completing a bachelor's degree in child development, education, or related field. This position requires a working knowledge of child development, and prior experience working with children.
- Monday-Thursday, 9AM-2PM
- 20 hours per week
- Works with Home Start staff to plan activities and provide trauma-informed care
- Supervises and cares for groups of up to five children at a time.
- Maintains daycare sanitation requirements and COVID compliance, such as cleaning toys and surfaces to ensure child safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Patience, adaptability, and a love of working with children.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Education and Experience
- Prior experience caring for groups of pre-school aged children
- Completed or working towards completing a bachelor's degree in child development, education, or related field.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
About Home Start, Inc.
5005 Texas St., Suite 203, San Diego, CA 92108, US
Home Start exists to assure the safety and resiliency of children by strengthening families and communities.
We recognize that all children hope for a bright future. That’s why Home Start works tirelessly to help families identify and use their strengths to build a better future for themselves. We are committed to a community-based collaborative effort to reach children and families at risk in order to prevent child abuse and neglect. Our dedicated staff work on the front lines each day in the battle to keep children safe and help them thrive. Services are home-and-center based and provided free of charge or on a sliding scale. Last year we served over 28,000 families in San Diego and surrounding counties.
This philosophy applies beyond those we help to the entire San Diego region, which benefits from:
- Proven practices that stop abuse within families and in our neighborhoods
- Outreach programs that respond to specific community needs
- Education and assistance to improve parenting
Throughout our diverse and expansive network, you will find a shared commitment from our staff and partners to assure every child has a safe, stable, and nurturing home.